Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2007, 02:30 PM

Default Who would Republican strategists choose for Deomocratic nominee?

If Hannity, Rush, Roger Alies, Kissinger, Cheney and co got into a room with Diebold and was allowed to choose the Democratic nominee, who would they come up with from the big three (Hilary, Obama, Edwards)? Or do you think they'd rather have another John Kerry-type go from 5 percent to 55 percent during the first few weeks of primaries?
Old 10-11-2007, 02:53 PM

Default Re: Who would Republican strategists choose for Deomocratic nominee?

While I think most GOP strategists would think Edwards is the most beatable, Obama would be my choice. He's the least experienced and thus the most likely to make a campaign faux pas (maybe he already did with his lapel-pin comment).
Old 10-11-2007, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If Hannity, Rush, Roger Alies, Kissinger, Cheney and co got into a room with Diebold and was allowed to choose the Democratic nominee, who would they come up with from the big three (Hilary, Obama, Edwards)? Or do you think they'd rather have another John Kerry-type go from 5 percent to 55 percent during the first few weeks of primaries?

[/ QUOTE ]
Of the big three I'd guess Hillary would be the choice. Obama comes across as too likeable, level-headed, and difficult to attack (though he certainly loses the "racist vote" by default) and I'm guessing Edwards would get the most instant credibility in the south (vs. a Republican). Hillary has by far the most name recognition, but is immensely polarizing and pre-hated by a huge number of potential voters -- by far the easiest of the three to attack and paint as a lunatic (the "cackle" being a recent example).

Of the other candidates, I don't know -- but I agree that Kerry was one of the strategically worst candidates for the Democrats in '04.

In fact, I've begun to wonder why the Democrats seem so good at picking the most unlikable candidates possible, recently. Maybe the republicans secretly are choosing the democratic candidates!
Old 10-11-2007, 04:03 PM

as a republican who is probably just slightly above average on political knowledge, i'd pick hillary. so many people dislike her. my mom is a lifelong democrat thats said she won't vote for her. my 2c.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:11 PM

Probably Edwards...He can come across as slimey. Hillary has WAY too much name recognition to want her and Obama is very charismatic, well-spoken, and (seemingly) level-headed.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:23 PM

Honestly, I think I know who is the the person they'd LEAST want to run, and that is Joe Biden. He has the balls to stand up to Republicans and attack them with the same ferocity that they attack him with (unlike John Kerry, who until the day I die don't know why he didn't smear George Bush for avoiding the Vietnam War after those Swift Boat ads.) I know this isn't the question, but between the top 3 I really think it is a toss-up; many hate Hillary, alot of people won't vote for Obama no matter what because he is black (half), and John Edwards is (in their opinion) too much of a "bleeding heart" and a sissy incapable of running this country "post 9-11". Therefore I really don't think they care who wins out of the the top 3, they are more concerned with getting a candidate who can win themselves (which is why they pushed for Fred Thompson.)
Old 10-11-2007, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Probably Edwards...He can come across as slimey. Hillary has WAY too much name recognition to want her and Obama is very charismatic, well-spoken, and (seemingly) level-headed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Edwards too. He reminds me very forcefully of the evil guy from the TV series The Dead Zone.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Honestly, I think I know who is the the person they'd LEAST want to run, and that is Joe Biden.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you're probably right.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Honestly, I think I know who is the the person they'd LEAST want to run, and that is Joe Biden.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I heard he is a racist though.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I heard he is a racist though.

[/ QUOTE ]

To many, however, he looks the "part" of president. Regardless, I believe that he the leading candidate to be the running mate of whoever wins the nomination, and I think this might be his motivation for running in the first place.