Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2007, 03:00 PM

Default Stud Hi - Small Pairs question

What are peoples thoughts on playing small pairs in stud high. Do people think they are worth playing without an overcard or straight-flush kicker? I've tended to see 4th if my cards are all live even if the kicker is poor and then check/fold if it doesnt improve - but I am wondering if its even worth seeing 4th unless its a pocket pair, as a paired door often kills the action and the pots I win when I do catch perfect might not even pay me for seeing 4th on the times I dont catch.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:04 PM

Default Re: Stud Hi - Small Pairs question

If I can see 4th cheaply & my cards are live, I'll peel one off most of the time. I'd rather have them buried than split but as with any poker game it depends on the situation & stakes. I'll dump it if I don't improve & somebody bets.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:40 AM

Default Re: Stud Hi - Small Pairs question

I play them too much, and I don't think you give up a whole lot by just tossing them every time. With a decent kicker, they're more attractive. Be more inclined to play them if the bring-in is small and you are against people who are likely to pay you off if you make trips (either your pair is in the hole or your opponents are very cooperative). Don't play if your cards are at all dead or if it's a full bet. If you're playing a game with a half-bet bring-in, be a lot less inclined to limp in.