Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2006, 09:18 AM

Default I am much deceived but I remember the style

Level 3 of EPT Barcelona. I've been very tight, maybe even perceived as tight weak, but Villain and I spoke earlier in the week, and he knows that I went kind of deep at the WSOP. Villain is a young Asian guy from Canada who says he's played about 20 big live events, mostly at the WSOP but also some WPT, and final tabled one of the lower buy-in WSOP NLHE events this year. He seems like a pretty solid player, fundamentally tight aggressive but capable of acting on his reads and making moves or thin calls.

Blinds 75/150.

Villain opens for 450 from CO-1, and I call with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in the CO. He’s got about 4000 behind, and I have about 11,000. Flop 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. He bets 450, I call fairly quickly.

Turn K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Villain bets 800, I think for about 20 seconds and call.

River blanks, Villain shoves without much hesitation for 2475. Hero?

Comments on earlier streets welcome as well. I thought this was the most interesting decision point, but I considered playing differently on the flop and turn, too.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:25 AM

Default Re: I am much deceived but I remember the style

I really don't think he's bluffing here nearly enough.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:26 AM

Scenario 1 - He thinks you floated and picked up a flush draw on turn so you float again.

Scenario 2 - He has an 8 (I assume he is capable of a steal with any two), Or AK/KQ with at least one heart.

I probably call if he has been opening a fair amount of pots in LP, otherwise fold.

What about pushing on the turn?
Old 09-18-2006, 09:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I was thinking about during that 20 seconds. Why do you like a push?
Old 09-18-2006, 09:31 AM

Why would he push the river if he thinks Foucault was floating?

And I think AA is far more likely than AK/KQ.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:47 AM

TT+, AK here. You shove turn, he's folding TT-QQ, but NOT the ones with hearts. 99 is unlikely, I don't think he'd open that light with a less than 30BB stack. AQhh, certainly, AK hands, AhKx. He didn't put you on having a K though, so he's just shoving without much thought, so it's not a flush.

That leaves AK, AQhh, 3 pairs you beat, one you were behind the entire way anyway. If you're perceived as floating, he's probably not shoving with anywhere near the nuts here. the only way he could be doing that is probably if Ax hearts were in his preflop raising range.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why would he push the river if he thinks Foucault was floating?

And I think AA is far more likely than AK/KQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because he only has a pot sized bet left and if he is wrong he would get a slightly weaker hand if he is wrong to fold such as 77, 99-TT.

And you are right AA is just as likely if not more.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I was thinking about during that 20 seconds. Why do you like a push?

[/ QUOTE ]

I like a push because it would get a lot of weaker hands to call... such as 99-JJ, maybe even A high, or a high heart. The reason being is a lot of people can read this as floating then bluffing a scare card.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:52 AM

i would defenitely call his pf raise, why does nobody think afold on flop is ok ... think you are behind all the time after the flop, with no hearts you have 6 outs and dont even know if hitting k or j wins the hand for you (and you actually didnt like the k or j show up in h ... ) ... cal me weak tight but i fold that flop
Old 09-18-2006, 10:56 AM

Is villain capable of triple barrel bluffing? How often doe he try this?

If you are going to reraise, do so on the flop and represent a mid pair. It's not a great play; it only serves to balloon the pot and puts you in a tough spot with K high and no draws if you are wrong.

Reraising on the turn sacrifices value if you are WA or loses a lot of chips if you are WB. He's not letting go KQ or KA at this point, I don't feel. By that same token, I think he gets rid of mid pairs and may even find a fold with Ahx.

As played, the river is entirely read dependent. I say it's a call because of three things: 1. the speed at which he put his chips in on the river; 2. 2 to 1 odds in a CO-1 and CO are compelling; 3. You have a very deep stack and have him outchipped; 4. He only has a pot sized bet left and there is a lot of chips in the pot, plus the board is favorable for him to 3-barrel bluff against a floater.