Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2007, 10:26 PM

Default guitar hero tips sought

i picked the game up last friday and have wasted 15-18 hours since then 5-starring each song on easy and medium (with a few exceptions), most w/98-99% accuracy. i just prematurely moved up to hard and i'm looking for some tips, namely:

i) the tougher medium songs (Institutionalized, Psychobilly Freakout, etc.) and the second tier hard songs (Tier 1 is a joke; Tier 2 seems almost impossible w/my weak skills) all require you do, erm, G-R-Y-B or B-Y-R-G or O-B-Y-R-G sequences very quickly using hammer-ons and pull-offs. i'm having big, big trouble doing this w/the celerity 'hard' requires. what do the veterans recommend? what songs and sections should i practice to improve this skill?;

ii) there are sections, such as the chorus to "Institutionalized" (what a dreadful tune), where you have to do a long sequence of a single fret very rapidly. i presume you have to strum up and down, but how do you keep a rhythm? again, any songs or sections you vets would recommend?

thx in advance. most mesmerizing video game i've ever played. perfect for detilting during my breaks [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-13-2007, 12:08 AM

Default Re: guitar hero tips sought

if you teach me how to play poker well, I'll teach you how to play GH

*actually I suck at the hammer-ons/pull-offs too, but was hoping you would look past that
Old 04-13-2007, 01:34 AM

medium --> hard is probably the biggest skill leap. A suggestion I've seen on SH forums is to take the expert level Jordan solo into practice mode and play it on "slowest" and then maybe increase it a notch once you get used to it. This basically gets you used to moving your hand up and down the neck as you need it.

For hammer-ons/pull-offs, just go practice songs in hard mode that have a lot of them. Even though you're not strumming, concentrate on hitting the buttons in rhythm with the notes when you're HO/POing. A lot of people just try to HO/PO by seeing a blob of notes and then moving their hand in that general direction. You still need to hit the notes in rhythm.

Play Hard mode lots to get used to it. Take hard parts into practice mode.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:57 AM

if you are looking for a song that is good for HO/PO go to practice mode and play the part of Hard The Light that Blinds towards the beginning where all it does is goes down and up constantly
Old 04-13-2007, 11:54 AM

I like doing Less Talk More Rokk Expect for HO/PO practice; about half the song is just clump after clump of HO/POs. Feels more like I'm playing a Beatmania song than something on a guitar.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:30 PM

Just curious if there's a consensus for whether or not HyperSpeed mode is good for better scores.

EDIT: In case you didn't know, you enable the Hyperspeed cheat by entering B, O, Y, O, B, O, Y, Y in the main menu. This mode makes the fretboard move faster. The pros are that you can more clearly see the spaces between notes. The con is that you see fewer notes on the screen at once for planning purposes.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:45 AM

I can play FreeBird on expert. There's no magic formula- but your wasting way too much time on the easy garbage. Go straight to hard- go to the practice mode so you dont fail in the beginning. Just keep trying-eventually you will get good.Then go to expert. It just takes time- keep SHREDDING.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:15 AM

Just play GH1 first then you'll have no trouble going through GH2.

I thought X360 version was a joke. All the new songs were easier than the average GH2-song.

I've 5 star'ed every song on hard. On my way to 5 star'ing the expert songs aswell.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:54 PM

Try using hyperspeed, it seems to make songs much easier to play.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:20 PM

Hyperspeed helps because it spreads the notes out. The downside is its faster (duh) and the window to actually hit the note is smaller. This is less of a problem the better you get however and it helps far more than it hurts.