Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2007, 11:05 AM

Default USA New Series: Burn Notice

Being a huge Bruce Campbell fan I had to catch the pilot episode of the show. Here's the summary for the series website [ QUOTE ]
Jeffrey Donovan stars as Michael Westen, an international spy who suddenly finds himself blacklisted. Dumped in his hometown of Miami without money or resources, Michael struggles to put his life back together and find out why he's been burned. In the meantime, Michael uses his unique skills and training to help people who can't get go to the police.

[/ QUOTE ] Bruce campbell plays a retired spy who [ QUOTE ]
has moved on to mojitos, Sugar Mommas and bikini watching in the bars and on the sands of South Beach. He's reliable and consistent, in the way that you can count on a former spy to dig up solid intel and execute missions with stealthy aplomb. Despite his predilection for rich divorcees and cocktails, he is an asset to Michael, even when he becomes an informant for the FBI. Though the Feds have Sam keeping an eye on Michael, he needs Sam's friendship, partnership, and expertise, now more than ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the pilot was an interesting take on the whole spy genre. It was fast paced and entertaining. Perfect summer escapist fare. I enjoyed it enjoy to set the DVR to record it. Bruce was very good in his role and got a decent amount of screen time.

Another positive was the show was a hour long and shown without commercial interruption.

Is anyone else watching this?

Link to Series Website
Old 06-29-2007, 12:54 PM

Default Re: USA New Series: Burn Notice

Despite not liking the actor that plays the main character (imo it's no wonder his past two series flopped) I really liked the show. Some of them are pretty stupid, but I thought the little spy-viewpoint comments he makes throughout the show were fun, like when he goes to the GGW party so he'd be able to spot middle-aged, white-guy FBI agents who would be out of place there.

I hope the whole show isn't going to be him running around doing little protection jobs for $4500 while he tries to get off the burn list though.
Old 06-29-2007, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hope the whole show isn't going to be him running around doing little protection jobs for $4500 while he tries to get off the burn list though.

[/ QUOTE ]

please, the show is going to be NOTHING like this

i assure you at least one of his cases he will end up reluctantly doing for free out of the deep down hidden goodness of his heart; and he will also at some point be employed by a client for whom "money is no object"
Old 06-30-2007, 02:43 AM

I watched the show last night and have to say it was quite entertaining. I gave it a shot because the premise sounded interesting and Bruce Campbell was in it.

With the exception of that mother angle, which was just downright annoying, this show was pretty good. It had about the right mix of action/humor and Bruce Campbell was his usual great "campy" self.

Hopefully the coming episodes will be of similar quality. If they are, then this will be another show I can add to the very short must watch list.

Also, I have to say watching without any commercials is pretty damn cool. Too bad this show is not on HBO/Showtime, besides the benefit of making the show more adult oriented, the lack of commercial breaks makes the show inherently more watchable. An example, would be FX with The Shield and Rescue Me which have approx. 15-20 minutes of commercials per hour......... which is slightly beyond annoying.
Old 06-30-2007, 04:17 AM

I was sort of disappointed. I guess I was hoping for either a gritty action-show, or an action/comedy, a la "Psych".

It wasn't awful, and I do intend to watch it again, but the "star" was god-awful, and the angle with the mother seemed kind of pointless.
Old 06-30-2007, 04:18 AM

If all you've seen of Bruce Campbell is the Army of Darkness movies, and you absolutely despised them and him, is the effect going to be too much to overcome whatever other qualities this show has?
Old 06-30-2007, 07:16 PM

I dvr'ed it and finally got around to watching it. I thought it was pretty good. Since it's summer and there really isn't any fresh content in series programing I will continue to watch it. I'm spoiled though as it's on USA which means no high def and I bet this show would look pretty good in high def.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:19 PM

I'll try and catch it - I've always had the hots for Gabrielle Anwar, and since she has died on The Tudors maye this is where I can get my fix.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:32 AM

I agree that the mother angle is annoying (unless she is the one who burned him).

More Bruce, less mom and the show should be fine.

edit --- RDH, if you like Bruce in the Old Spice commercials you will probably like him here.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:21 PM

Yeah, Cagney was really annoying in this.

I'm really thinking the ex-girlfrined setup the burn notice. At one point she makes a speech about him having to deal with his relationships now. Of which she's obviously a big one. And her flying down to Miami from NY at the drop of a hat doesn't say EX to me...