Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2006, 01:25 PM

Default Very Basic Hand

Sorry for posting such a basic hand, but I need to double check my thinking.

When the A came out on the turn, I had to bet even though it was probably around 50% that 1 of the 2 players had an A. If I checked and got bet into, I still wouldn't know if I was up against an A. So I'd have have to call. I might as well bet an perhaps KO something that can beat me when I am ahead. Correct?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (7 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, MP1 calls, MP2 folds.

Turn: (4 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, MP1 folds.

River: (6 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 8 BB
Old 03-17-2006, 01:29 PM

Default Re: Very Basic Hand

nice hand. It kind of sucks when donks peel with an ace in this spot, but what are you going to do.
Old 03-17-2006, 01:29 PM

Grunch:
I think i would have raised this one preflop.
Other than that, i think you played it fine.
Old 03-17-2006, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

From the SB with 4 limpers raising offsuit broadways other than AK is not a great plan...it bloats that pot more than giving you value.

Edit: to elaborate, if you had raised then a limped A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] would have had the odds to peel on the flop. Without the raise, that hand should fold this flop, or give up Sklansky bucks to you by peeling.
Old 03-17-2006, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

From the SB with 4 limpers raising offsuit broadways other than AK is not a great plan...it bloats that pot more than giving you value.

Edit: to elaborate, if you had raised then a limped A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] would have had the odds to peel on the flop. Without the raise, that hand should fold this flop, or give up Sklansky bucks to you by peeling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you, i see your point.
Old 03-17-2006, 01:51 PM

I'd have to guess he's sitting on a Q and is unsure of his kicker. Ax is possible too, but I think a river bet is a good one here, assuming he will call with Qx or any pair, as well as an ace, as he'll have Qx or a lower pair more often than he will the ace.
Old 03-17-2006, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
nice hand. It kind of sucks when donks peel with an ace in this spot, but what are you going to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually laugh and thank them for not taking more of my money. That's how I roll, tho.
Old 03-17-2006, 02:06 PM

*grunchin'*

First, I would definitely raise this preflop - you're going to win a healthy share of pots with KQ and the value is worth the raise. Without any reads, I would play all streets the same, would never consider checking the turn.

Edit: Great point boz about bloating the pot through raising this preflop...I need to think that one through some more
Old 03-17-2006, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. I think the mistake of not raising preflop with the broadway is a bigger mistake than any made on the flop. I'm refering to "Building Big Pots Before the Flop" in SSHE.

Time to get my drink on. Happy St. Patties everyone.
Old 03-17-2006, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually laugh and thank them for not taking more of my money. That's how I roll, tho.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe some day I'll be "the man" like you.