Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2007, 01:06 AM

Default Confused in this hand NL5

I've been playing pretty TAG but I have won many hands without a showdown.

I don't have any reads on villain other than that he plays loose-passive preflop. I had no reads while playing, but after looking through a few of his HH, in one hand he basically slowplayed AA all the way to the river (after flopping set and quads on turn). Not sure if that helps.

Here's the hand.

Poker Stars, $0.02/$0.05 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 6 Players
LeggoPoker Hand History Converter

SB: $8.99
BB: $1.70
UTG: $7.82
MP: $7.02
CO: $10.60
Hero (BTN): $6.80

Pre-Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (BTN)
UTG calls $0.05, 2 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $0.25</font>, 2 folds, UTG calls $0.20

Flop: ($0.57) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
UTG checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $0.40</font>, UTG calls $0.40

Turn: ($1.37) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">UTG bets $0.30</font>, Hero calls $0.30

River: ($1.97) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">UTG bets $1.05</font>, Hero ?

Preflop: Pretty standard IMO. KJo is not bad against 1 limper and the blinds. I have position too so I isolate.

Flop: I make standard C-bet. He calls here with straight draws, Jx and sometimes 8x. I'm not sure if there are any good enough players at NL5 that would try to float a C-bet or something. Can somebody confirm this?

Turn: This completely threw me off here. WTF can he have? I'm mainly confused because I was thinking that if he had a strong hand, wouldn't he under-represent it and check-call again? Nonetheless, my plan coming into the turn was to check-behind w/o improving even though it is a drawy board for pot control, but I'm beginning to regret calling here because he led super-weak and I'm basically representing a mid PP or something mediocre...

River: I definitely do not think that I beat anything he has here. IMO he is not bluffing here alot. I'm not sure what his range would be, but it could be a slowplayed set or 2pair, a straight, a flush...All of which I think he could play like that. Monsters under the bed?

Thoughts are appreciated.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:07 AM

Default Re: Confused in this hand NL5

raise the turn, once river hits you have absolutely no clue where you're at and there are so many draws and obv and A works. i'd fold river as played, but raise turn and bet .5 on flop.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:27 AM

pf raise is fine.i would in the marjority of cases 3 bet the
the utg weak bet on the turn.at that level un less i know the villian i'm calling the river.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:12 AM

As far as players floating at 5NL im sure it happens a lot its more "i have two overcards on a low flop and its only 30 cents ill call to see if i can hit top pair" rather then "hes bluffing ill pick it off and see what he does on the turn"

Also, you don't have to say IMO at in all your reads....it becomes annoying say it like you mean it and are confident. It sounds like you are adding a disclaimer to it saying "but you might not want to do this because im just a 5NL player"

as far as the hand I would raise the turn bet and fold to a raise or a large bet on the river unimproved. Probably just check it down if he calls and then checks..there may be some thin value in betting but i just want to get to showdown and getting check raised would make me throw my mouse across the room
Old 11-06-2007, 02:24 AM

meh, 79 hits on turn, but i doubt he is good enough to induce a raise with that. He probably just picked up a FD and is pricing himself in. I would raise the turn to about a dollar, then fold the river when the draw hits.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:42 AM

I like raising the turn to get value from the many draws that are out. I never found weak leads like this to be a very strong hand from most villains at these stakes, so I would raise the turn and check behind most bad cards on the river if they hit, and value bet if they don't.