Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2006, 12:42 PM

Default Phil Gordon says...

In the Little Green Book, Phil says that the blinds have a negative expectation. Do you guys agree?

I was looking at my Poker Tracker stats, and I noticed that 60% of my overall losses occure in the big blind. This happens when it is limped around to me, I check from the BB with trash, then I catch a piece of the Flop.

I'm trying to train myself to get out of hands I had no intention of involving myself in in the first place.

Like say I've got J4o, and the flop comes J72 rainbow. I check, and the two other players in the hand with me check behind. If the Turn comes a brick, part of me feels like I have to take a stab at the pot.

When I'm in these situations, I find myself begging the other players to bet the Flop so I can fold with a clear conscience. But then a minimum bet just gets my hackles up, and I start thinking, "I'm not folding for one BB in a 10 BB pot!"

How tight do you guys play from the BB?
Old 09-14-2006, 12:45 PM

Default Re: Phil Gordon says...

Phill is right, The BB have a negative expectation. Most players lower there standards, and dont realise that they are playing out of position for the whole hand (except PF). Obviously in the BB i check if its called around to me, but in the SB I dont lower my calling standards to complete the blind. Why waste half a BB on J4o? What are you really hoping for even if you hit the jack as above you cant really call a big bet. As for the BB if its raised I will re-evaluate, and only call with the best of holdings, since I will be out of position for the rest of the hand.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:48 PM

Phil is right. One of the biggest leaks (that is easily fixed)that many SSNL players have is calling raises from the the blinds with hands they would never play UTG.

The blinds do have negative expectation for the reasons Phil gives and that fact that anyone with a decent sized PT database will see that it is painfully true.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One of the biggest leaks (that is easily fixed)that many SSNL players have is calling raises from the the blinds with hands they would never play UTG.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lesco, the thing is that I fold J4o like it's a map, even from the Button, if I have to VP$IP. But when I'm in the BB and it's limped around to me, I check and hope for the Flop to come JJ4. But when it comes something like J72 I think, "Well, I'll check and then fold when I'm played back at..."

But when it's all checked behind me, I start smelling blood, my fangs grow out and I start thinking, "Money in the pot and nobody wants it. Gimmy, gimmy, gimmy!!!"

Sometimes I'm just too aggressive for my own good. I've been trying for weeks to get my VP$IP below 20% and it just isn't happening. The cards have been running hot lately, though.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Lesco, the thing is that I fold J4o like it's a map, even from the Button, if I have to VP$IP. But when I'm in the BB and it's limped around to me, I check and hope for the Flop to come JJ4. But when it comes something like J72 I think, "Well, I'll check and then fold when I'm played back at..."

But when it's all checked behind me, I start smelling blood, my fangs grow out and I start thinking, "Money in the pot and nobody wants it. Gimmy, gimmy, gimmy!!!"

Sometimes I'm just too aggressive for my own good. I've been trying for weeks to get my VP$IP below 20% and it just isn't happening. The cards have been running hot lately, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, playinmg TPNK OOP sucks, but when I am in this situation it really depends on the type of villain that I am up aaginst. I could c/c, b/f, b/c or c/f depending on the type and number of villians.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:55 PM

[I've been trying for weeks to get my VP$IP below 20% and it just isn't happening. The cards have been running hot lately, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

phydaux,

Why 20%?
Old 09-14-2006, 11:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[I've been trying for weeks to get my VP$IP below 20% and it just isn't happening. The cards have been running hot lately, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

phydaux,

Why 20%?

[/ QUOTE ]

I just feel like I'm playing loose.

My natural tendency is to play aggressivly. So if I'm going to play hard, I want to make sure I go into the fray with what's likely the best hand.

Plus, I'm playing .01/.02 & .02/.05. Players at this level have no idea how many hands I've played in the last hour. If I play like a nit at $1/$2, nobody will give me action. But at this level I'm getting raised pre-Flop, and called down all the way to the River, with hands like J8o.

Honestly, I'm stunned by some of the hands these guys show down. And I only get to see the winning hands!

(Makes me even more pissed off that I'm still not breaking even)
Old 09-14-2006, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Phill is right, The BB have a negative expectation. Most players lower there standards, and dont realise that they are playing out of position for the whole hand (except PF).

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm... Most players tend to play more loosly from the Blinds. Do you reccomend playing no more loosly that I would from the Button, or should I tighten up, say to MP hand requiorments?
Old 09-14-2006, 01:57 PM

I'm interested what everyones PTBB/100 in the blinds are.

Off the top of my head (current PT database):
SB is -0.09 over 30k NL50 6max
BB is -0.20 (is this to high?)

I find playing marginal hands OOP like tpck on low rag board which likely missed everyone(3-way) the hardest.
Old 09-14-2006, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm interested what everyones PTBB/100 in the blinds are.

Off the top of my head (current PT database):
SB is -0.09 over 30k NL50 6max
BB is -0.20 (is this to high?)

I find playing marginal hands OOP like tpck on low rag board which likely missed everyone(3-way) the hardest.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a lot of variance here. For about 30k hands, I was winning money from the small blind, but that's just from a couple of huge pots where I flopped the (near)nuts and people had 2nd-best hands.

I suspect you need at least 100k hands for this to be meaningful, maybe more.