Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2007, 12:20 PM

Default QQ, Set vs. coordinated flop. 1/2 NL B&M

1/2 NL game at local B&M. I have only been in the game for 1 hour, playing tightly and haven’t had to show anything down yet. Nobody at the table is extraordinarily aggressive and all stacks are near the maximum buy-in of $200. I have $225

I am UTG+ 2 and look down to two red Queens. I raise to $16, MP and CO call.

Flop As Qc Ts. I bet $40. MP raises to $80, CO calls and I call.

Turn is a blank rag. I deliberate on what to bet and decide to push for my last $130 or so. My simplistic thinking was that if the other had two pair, an OESD or a 4 flush, that they would call no matter what. MP calls, and the CO deliberates and then folds…..
results in white
<font color="white"> </font>
MP turns over KJ and the board doesn’t pair on the river.

I think that I made a mistake PF by betting $16, a little larger than the standard raise in this game. It defined my hand and still layed odds if I knew that I would go to the felt with the rest of my stack. Considering my position probably made the play a little worse.

In thinking about the hand, I can’t tell if I played it horribly and didn’t discount the strength of my hand considering the nature of the flop or if I am being results oriented and the chips were just destined to go the middle. A little help?
Old 03-13-2007, 12:22 PM

Default Re: QQ, Set vs. coordinated flop. 1/2 NL B&M

You should not be looking to make sick laydowns at live SSNL in general.

Calling on that flop is terrible. PUSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
Old 03-13-2007, 12:29 PM

Set on the flop. Live. Less than 250 BBs.
All in.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:40 PM

Default Re: QQ, Set vs. coordinated flop. 1/2 NL B&amp;M

As long as it's 3way action, getting your money all in is never a bad thing w/ QQ here.
As per above, when CO cold calls 80, that tells you AJ, AK, possible combo flush draw.

You should've pushed at this point, since you'd expect both players to call (all around $200). Since you played it too cautiously, you made mistake #2 (IMHO) by pushing turn in first position. You essentially knock out one player, who now won't overcall on that large turn bet with only one card to come. I think at that point, if the MP doesn't go all in (which would be terrible), and the CO comes along for the ride, then you could be looking at 5:1 on a turn call, which wouldn't be bad (you're about 5:1 against, possibly best hand still but unlikely). So, as played, two mistakes.

btw, You got called by two terrible hands on a $16 pf raise. How is that not a good amount to raise then?
Old 03-13-2007, 12:40 PM

Laying down never crossed my mind during the hand. I was wondering if it ever should have. Thanks for clarifying that. When I bet $40 on the flop, I was just thinking that I was betting the pot and not offering corrects odds on the draw while allowing them to call. I don't know why I didn't reraise, donkey moment I guess.

Thanks for giving me some clarity. Next time, I push.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Set on the flop. Live. Less than 250 BBs.
All in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Please explain... the max buy-in is 100xbb and most players are around that amount... you'd be pushing every time you hit and not making any money. no?
Old 03-16-2007, 12:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As long as it's 3way action, getting your money all in is never a bad thing w/ QQ here. As per above, when CO cold calls 80, that tells you AJ, AK, possible combo flush draw.

You got called by two terrible hands on a $16 pf raise.

[/ QUOTE ] So, if you can put one or both players on those hands, why couldn't you put them on KJ suited or off... If the goal is to get all of there money and bring them along for the ride, can you check here or repeat the bet? WHY or why not?

[ QUOTE ]
You should've pushed at this point, since you'd expect both players to call (all around $200).

[/ QUOTE ] based on pot odds, yes... but what else would make you expect this? one caller I totally agree, but two?
Old 03-16-2007, 12:10 AM

Well yah they both have half their stack in there already, it's reasonable they both call.

ornthnooth - You played it okay. A flop push is better, but you played fine.

I have a feeling in your excitement with your big hand in live play, you were so desperate to get all in you didn't even consider the straight and were hit by a ton of bricks when he showed his cards. You probably felt foolish for not thinking about it more. That's okay, just learn from this hand and try to think things out more at the table. The upside here is that no matter how much you thought about it, folding here would always be bad and you definitely want to be all in with this hand. The only thing you could have done differently would have been to get broke on the flop instead of the turn.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-16-2007, 12:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Why? Please give your reasoning.