Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2006, 01:12 PM

Default Time Charge Noob

I've yet to play in a game that uses time charges instead of rake, but I'm thinking of trying the 15-30 at Bellagio in a couple of weeks. How do the time charges work? Are they collected every half hour on the half hour? And if I sit down at 8:15 do I pay then and again at 8:30, or just not until 8:30? When quiting for the night, do people typically quit right before the time charge is collected as opposed right before hitting the big blind? Thanks.
Old 08-31-2006, 01:26 PM

Default Re: Time Charge Noob

[ QUOTE ]
I've yet to play in a game that uses time charges instead of rake, but I'm thinking of trying the 15-30 at Bellagio in a couple of weeks. How do the time charges work? Are they collected every half hour on the half hour? And if I sit down at 8:15 do I pay then and again at 8:30, or just not until 8:30? When quiting for the night, do people typically quit right before the time charge is collected as opposed right before hitting the big blind? Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

time charges usualy start at 10/20 the fee is usualy $5
and for a 20/40 game is usualy $7 so a $6 charge seems reasonable for a 15/30 game. U dont pay the time when u jump into a game going on until it reaches the next dealer and u pay the amount every time a new dealer sits down (every half hour) when i knwo im ready to leave soon i usualy wait untill a new dealer comes so i dont have to pay the time charge, thats what works for me but its not a big deal if u play a few hands after the time charge adn then leave. There are sometimes time pots where a player will volunteer to pay the entire time charge for the table and when whoever wins the first pot pays 1/2 of the tables time charge share to the person who initated the time pot collection in the first place. Then, the person who wins the 2nd hand pays the original person to stake the time pot the residual 1/2. Note that the pot must reach a certain number i forget how to figure it out but for a 15/30 game it would roughly be at $120... so if the first or second winner does not collect a large pot then the time is not paid yet for that half hour and then u just wait till the next hand. After time is paid then u never have to give the the guy who staked everyone anything. This works well if u play tight and arent involved in many pots so u can kind of get out of paying time aslong as u dont win a pot.

SOrry if i explained that realy bad its realy not as confusing as i worded it [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 08-31-2006, 01:29 PM

I thought 15/30 at the Bellagio was still pot-raked.
Old 08-31-2006, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've yet to play in a game that uses time charges instead of rake, but I'm thinking of trying the 15-30 at Bellagio in a couple of weeks. How do the time charges work? Are they collected every half hour on the half hour?

[/ QUOTE ]
anyplace ive played with a time charge, they collect every half hour.
[ QUOTE ]
And if I sit down at 8:15 do I pay then and again at 8:30, or just not until 8:30?

[/ QUOTE ]
everyplace ive played they dont collect time from you if you sit after A: theyve already dropped the time, or B: you sit down after 10 miuntes past the half
[ QUOTE ]
When quiting for the night, do people typically quit right before the time charge is collected as opposed right before hitting the big blind? Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]
depends
if im leaving at 830pm and the bb hits me at ~820, i leave then. basically i would leave if i dont think i can get another round in before the time charge comes (and i already know im leaving).unless theres some super reason to play a few more hands
Old 08-31-2006, 01:32 PM

im not sure
i just know from the Borgota
Old 08-31-2006, 01:39 PM

the way iv seen it at foxwoods its u paytime if you come in before they droped the time

so lets say its 8:17 and they have yet to drop time U pay the five bucks for the 1/2NL Game then Five more when the next dealer comes in normoly 8:30
Old 08-31-2006, 05:59 PM

In $1-2, I think Foxwoods will generally give you a break if you come in more than 10 minutes into the half hour. Granted that they're sometimes arbitrary there, but charging you just because the floor forgot to come around at 8:27 seems a bit odd.

Maybe Tom (?), the dealer who posts on here, can enlighten us as to how they're trained to do it.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought 15/30 at the Bellagio was still pot-raked.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is. 15/30 at both Bellagio and Wynn are raked. The Wynn 30/60 is when the time charge begins.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Out of fairness, I try to pay the last time charge and cash-out, in order to pre-pay for the free time I will get on my next session when I first sit down.

-J
Old 08-31-2006, 08:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
time charges usualy start at 10/20 the fee is usualy $5

[/ QUOTE ]

The OP is asking about games in Vegas, and no games at 10/20 are time raked. Neither is 15/30 nor 20/40.

Mirage 40/80 = $7/dealer change (30 minutes)