Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2007, 06:24 PM

Default Types of players 6 max

Wondering if anyone has rules for poker tracker that work for 6 max? Ive made some but i dont know if they are good ?

Ill ask if its ok to post them here b4 i do.

any links or anything to help would be appreciated.
Old 05-05-2007, 06:34 PM

Default Re: Types of players 6 max

Autorate rules are mostly useless. They only categorize players into bins that have even less meaning than the sum of the stats that put them there. Just use the stats for what they are, develop real reads, take copious notes, and use this to play better poker.
Old 05-05-2007, 07:28 PM

I completly dissagree. Learning to make snap judgements helps alot on poker. I play live as much as i play Online and being able to make a quick assumption about an individuals play is a usefull tool. Even if im only right 50% of the time (wich in all honesty its more like 80%) its still profitable. I lay the icons out on the table right bye thier photo. A quick glance gives me an idea into what my play might be ie A raise UTG from a mouse and i have AJ off in the c/o i know to fold without having to really even think about it. Same situation aginst a taz picture i reraise (givin its folded down to me). I play 4 tables at once and those little pictures give me an edge when i need it. Also im teaching my roomate to play and they help him alot as well. he dosent really understand all the numbers and what they mean yet so its a good way to get him started.
Old 05-05-2007, 07:44 PM

I dunno how much they are truly important. Yes I use the pokertracker stats on screen with pokerhud. I rely on the numbers to help me watch for other trends. By all means use whats available to you, but use them wisely. Using the numbers alone can actually be costly. Poker tracker rates players after 50 hands. I think you can change that rating, but honestly how accurate are the stats after 50 hands?

I can think of numerous sessions where my stats read things like 45/35 after 50 hands. That doesn't mean I am a loose aggressive player as the autorate would show. It just means that the deck hit me in the face preflop. Ive also had sessions after 50 hands where I have been 9/5. Take those with a grain of salt. All I think Wookie is saying is concentrate more on individual reads then prejudged ratings alone. Those reads will be far more beneficial.
Old 05-05-2007, 07:45 PM

just tell him what the numbers mean. use your own judgement to decide what to do based on the numbers.

think of a graph. you want ultimate accuracy. would you not want an infinite numbers of intervals along the x-axis? or would you decide to have a finite number of intervals? it's the same thing with the icons. when you use icons, you're using a finite number of intervals on your graph, and you're losing accuracy. one icon could depict a 20/10/2 player as well as a 25/15/4 player. these guys are massively different, and if you react to each of them the same way, you're misplaying.

you're just dumbing it down by using icons. it may be simpler in the beginning, but the extra effort needed now to explain what everything means will pay off in the end, since you will never use the icons when you become more familiar with the stats.
Old 05-05-2007, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you're just dumbing it down by using icons. it may be simpler in the beginning, but the extra effort needed now to explain what everything means will pay off in the end, since you will never use the icons when you become more familiar with the stats.

[/ QUOTE ]
QFT
Old 05-06-2007, 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
just tell him what the numbers mean. use your own judgement to decide what to do based on the numbers.

think of a graph. you want ultimate accuracy. would you not want an infinite numbers of intervals along the x-axis? or would you decide to have a finite number of intervals? it's the same thing with the icons. when you use icons, you're using a finite number of intervals on your graph, and you're losing accuracy. one icon could depict a 20/10/2 player as well as a 25/15/4 player. these guys are massively different, and if you react to each of them the same way, you're misplaying.

[/ QUOTE ]

very well put
Old 05-06-2007, 02:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I completly dissagree. Learning to make snap judgements helps alot on poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Learning to make correct assessments helps a lot in poker. Passing on a read because it's weak is often acceptable because the risk/reward ratio is too small to dramatically deviate from the standard play.

[ QUOTE ]
I play live as much as i play Online and being able to make a quick assumption about an individuals play is a usefull tool. Even if im only right 50% of the time (wich in all honesty its more like 80%) its still profitable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Having a foundational understanding of the game is far more important. In 80% of the situations you come across in live low limit games, reads simply don't matter. The number of villains in the hand is often too many to outplay all at the same time, so you're down to mostly playing your cards. The pot is often large enough that pot odds are dictating most of your actions.

[ QUOTE ]
I lay the icons out on the table right bye thier photo. A quick glance gives me an idea into what my play might be ie A raise UTG from a mouse and i have AJ off in the c/o i know to fold without having to really even think about it. Same situation aginst a taz picture i reraise (givin its folded down to me). I play 4 tables at once and those little pictures give me an edge when i need it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given the choice between seeing numbers and seeing icons, I'd go for numbers.

[ QUOTE ]
Also im teaching my roomate to play and they help him alot as well. he dosent really understand all the numbers and what they mean yet so its a good way to get him started.

[/ QUOTE ]

A better way for him to get started is for him to study his own game, first. Set him up with GSIH and SSH, then go from there.

You want to know what's really ironic?

[ QUOTE ]
Wondering if anyone has rules for poker tracker that work for 6 max? Ive made some but i dont know if they are good ?

[/ QUOTE ]

PLUS

[ QUOTE ]
A quick glance gives me an idea into what my play might be ie A raise UTG from a mouse and i have AJ off in the c/o i know to fold without having to really even think about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

EQUALS

You don't really know what "mouse" means (with respect to what VPIP/PFR combos should aptly correspond to "mouse"), but you talk about it as if it were useful information.

I'm with Wookie here:

[ QUOTE ]
Autorate rules are mostly useless. They only categorize players into bins that have even less meaning than the sum of the stats that put them there. Just use the stats for what they are, develop real reads, take copious notes, and use this to play better poker.

[/ QUOTE ]