Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2007, 02:48 PM

Default SH LO8 - 3/6$, how\'s my line?

PokerStars 3/6 Omaha/8 (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 4, 2, T, A.
Hero raises,2 folds</font>,SB 3-bets, BB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (9 SB) A, 8, 3(3 players)
SB bets, BB calls,Hero raises, SB 3-bets, BB calls, Hero caps, SB calls, BB calls.

Turn: (10.50 BB) T (3 players)
SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets, SB calls, BB calls.

River: (13.50 BB) 5(3 players)
SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets, SB folds, BB calls.

Final Pot: 15.50 BB

Results :
BB has Jc 2h 5c 6d (Low: 6, 5, 3, 2, A | High: one pair, fives).
Hero has 4c 2s Ts Ah (Low: 5, 4, 3, 2, A | High: straight, five high).
Outcome: Hero wins 15.50 BB.

I post this because I'm pretty new to the game. I usually play FR LO8 on 0.5/1$ or 1/2$ but there was a long waiting list so I sat down for the first time on a 3/6$ table there was no 2/4$ game running either). My BR is 2.5K so that's not the problem. The only thing is, I know from the past that shorthanded play is way different. So I sat down here for a few orbits, folded mostly pre-flop when this hands arrives. I really wanna hear all your comments on all streets. I scooped the pot, but I think I had alot of luck. In retrospect I think I played this one too aggressive. FWIW, my two opponents where very aggressive the whole time, especially on starting hand selection. I played pretty tight so far.

Any thoughts?
Old 05-24-2007, 03:05 PM

Default Re: SH LO8 - 3/6$, how\'s my line?

You played it fine. Your hand was a monster at every stage and there was no reason to let up on the aggression.

I think the only possible change would have been to call the third bet on the flop and hope he bets out the turn (allowing you to raise on turn and trap BB in the middle or slow down if a bad card fell).
Old 05-24-2007, 03:16 PM

I don't like the raise p/f from UTG with this hand. You want to keep as many customers as possible since you don't have a lot of hope for the high. Edit: Maybe the raise correct since it's 5 handed?

After going back and forth, I think the initial raise on the flop is okay, but I don't like that you capped it. I think you will get more bets in on the big-bet streets if you just call the 3-bet. The pot would bet 1.5BB smaller after the flop, but the cap discourages SB from leading out again. If SB does lead on the turn (which it seems like he would), you would be able to raise and get an extra 3BB in the pot at least. By the river SB probably slows down, but you might get extra bets there also.

Turn and river are fine.

I'd like to hear if Buzz and everyone else agrees (since I am still cutting my teeth on LO8).
Old 05-25-2007, 01:52 AM

I play a lot of SHO8 and if I'm going to play a hand, I'm usually coming in for a raise (whether it's AA2, A24, or 23KQ) and especially if I'm first in, so I don't mind his raise with this hand at all.

When the sb 3 bets it preflop and then 3 bets the flop, I would have also taken the last raise if I were you because you really have NO reason to feel that that will cause him to suddenly check the turn.

And I hope you also make it a point to play in games with the bb as much as possible because as loose as I may play in SH games, I would not have called 2 cold before the flop with those rags. Oh, and if they ARE going to call with hands like that, then raise your big hands, even utg, every single time.=
Old 05-25-2007, 07:21 AM

You weren't too aggressive. You played it just about perfectly as far as I can see. I may have taken the last bet preflop, but that's somewhat subjective.