Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2006, 04:40 PM

Default Financial Management (software suggestions)

I need to find out where all my money goes. People keep telling me that I should be saving tons of money with my current job and my poker play, but hell if I know where it goes.

So, starting this month, I'm cutting back some expenses and I'm also going to try to keep track of where my money goes. I haven't written anything down in my checkbook for at least 5 years. So I think I'm going to get it balanced. Then I also need a financial software package to help me keep track of my accounts and track where my expenses go.

I know there is MS Money and Quicken, but are there any other software packages out there that might be better? Or even free?

Thanks!
Old 06-29-2006, 04:43 PM

Default Re: Financial Management (software suggestions)

I use MS Money, and it works great for me. If it helps you get your finances in order or see where you're pissing away money, the $50 (or whatever it costs) is a negligible expense.

I don't track my checks, but between Commerce Bank's online site and MS Money, I don't really need to.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:36 PM

I use quickbooks, its great, I can keep track of all my expenses, get quick reporting, track all my customers etc. I dont automate the my bank account stuff though, I track things manually.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:53 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

better forums for this:

-Software
-Finance and Investing
-new finance forum

rj
Old 06-29-2006, 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I need to find out where all my money goes. People keep telling me that I should be saving tons of money with my current job and my poker play, but hell if I know where it goes.

So, starting this month, I'm cutting back some expenses and I'm also going to try to keep track of where my money goes. I haven't written anything down in my checkbook for at least 5 years. So I think I'm going to get it balanced. Then I also need a financial software package to help me keep track of my accounts and track where my expenses go.

I know there is MS Money and Quicken, but are there any other software packages out there that might be better? Or even free?

Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless your finances are so complicated that automatic downloads from banking/investment sites is desirable, a spreadsheet is as good as the standard packages, if youre decent with Excel.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:29 PM

I use Excel.
Old 06-30-2006, 12:05 AM

I used excel for the past 3-4 years but I am actually getting tired of being a slave to the f-ing spread sheet. I hold onto receipts like they are going out of style so my spreadsheet doesnt' get out of balance. I know this goes deeper than spreadsheets and finances, dipping into the realm of OCD, but for now I am in the process of moving to quicken and just downloading the stuff regularly.
Old 06-30-2006, 12:40 AM

This may help. Really the best tool is going to be the one that is easy enough that you use it consistently.
Old 06-30-2006, 01:25 AM

Sweet, I've been meaning to try and track my expenses better as well. Pearbudget looks cool

I think one of my first goals to spend less and track better is to carry little to no cash...
Old 06-30-2006, 02:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sweet, I've been meaning to try and track my expenses better as well. Pearbudget looks cool

I think one of my first goals to spend less and track better is to carry little to no cash...

[/ QUOTE ]

I've always thought it would be a good experiment to try using no cash at all for some period of time. Kind of like forcing you to use to put away the mouse/trackpad and only use keyboard shortcuts for a while to really get efficient with a program (which I have tried, and which does work wonders).