Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2007, 05:20 PM

Default KK smoothcalled into horrible turn

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

SB ($73.95)
BB ($51.95)
UTG ($99)
MP ($106.40)
Hero ($93)
Button ($30.15)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $4</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $13</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP calls $9.

Flop: ($27.50) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $22</font>, MP calls $22.

Turn: ($71.50) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP checks, Hero
Final Pot: $129.50

First orbit at table; villain is unknown. Is my only option here to push all-in and pray for the best? Checking will induce a bluff on the river, and I have no information thusfar. I have no idea where to go with this one.
Old 02-15-2007, 05:22 PM

Default Re: KK smoothcalled into horrible turn

i'd just shove or call any river, up to you. the only hands w/ an A are NFD really, and that's certainly in his range, but so is 88-QQ and other flush/straight draws.
Old 02-15-2007, 05:27 PM

I think a check is better. I don't think worse hands are calling our bet on the turn.
Old 02-15-2007, 05:31 PM

How can this be a horrible turn? If he's decent there's no way he has the A here (only the case Adxd). It's not the best card you want to see, because it will scare his QQ-88. You can just shove here, or bet a smaller amount and hope you don't scare away smaller PP's or check and snapcall his riverbet.
Old 02-15-2007, 05:34 PM

check behind.
Old 02-15-2007, 05:36 PM

why would you think this is a horrible turn?

easy check though.
Old 02-15-2007, 05:50 PM

I think it's possible, but unlikely that the turn card hit your opponent (if I had to put a number on it ~20%). And if it didn't hit him, then it's a scare card and you will get little or no more money from underpairs if you bet again, whereas without the ace you could have stacked QQ, JJ, maybe lower.

Against most opponents, I would check here. A check says exactly what you want it to say, that ace missed me, don't worry, try a river bluff, or check call with your big pair - it might be the best hand. If villain bets the river, I'm calling most of the time against an unknown. I might fold to a river shove, maybe, probably, I dunno as that would be read dependent. If villain checks, I'm going to bet the most that I think a pair below mine will call.

Option two is betting the turn. I think this option should be around 1/3 pot to 3/4 pot depending on what you think your opponent might hold. I know it's tough without a read, but sometimes based on his timing or something else, you just feel like he's calling you down with an underpair and other times you can be sure he's on a draw. Bet less if your feeling is an underpair, more if your feeling is a draw and in the middle if you are unsure. With no history a random person is unlikely to try a C/R bluff on the turn, so folding to any C/R is probably a good idea.

I think shoving here is almost as bad as accidentally clicking the fold button.

soda