Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2006, 12:50 PM

Default Video game question - Fight Night 2 or 3?

As opposed to the things I like to pay too much for, I am a cheapskate when it comes to video games. I am ready for a new one, and boxing it will be.

Is there enough of an improvement to make the new version of Fight Night worth it? I haven't played either one. It doesn't sound like the gameplay has been changed much, are the graphics much better?
Round 2 is going as low as $12.99 (used) vs. $39.99 for Round 3.

Equipment: PS2, big ass plasma TV
Old 06-29-2006, 01:52 PM

Default Re: Video game question - Fight Night 2 or 3?

if you've never played either, get FNR2 for $13.

You'll have more fun mastering the punching control system. Its good for quite a bit of fun, at least three or so full careers before you get so good that its not fun anymore vs the computer.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:02 PM

fight night 2 is more of a slugfest than fight night 3. You probably "box" more (jabs, hooks, crosses) in part 3. Also FN3 is much slower. IMO, go with round 2. Its definitely one of the best bargains out there.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:03 PM

It depends upon the type of game you want Fight Night Round 3 is more of a pure boxing game with h the flash ko while round 2 is more like traditional boxing games in that they play like fighting games only involving punching and blocking.

Both punching systems are-from what I recall of round 2- very similar and very intuitive so that's a plus for both. Also, the graphics aren't that much better in 3 than 2 (as near as I can tell comparing the PS2 versions).

In the end, unless you're a real boxing purist then i can't imagine that round 3 will be worth the $25 to you.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:04 PM

I really favour FNR3 because FNR2 is an absolute haymaker fest. You just spam haymakers until the other guy falls down.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:09 PM

I really enjoy FN3. From what I've heard the career system is better/different in 2, and I thought that would bother me but it doesn't.

FN3 on a xbox360 on HD looks amazing. It's what talked me into getting a 360.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really favour FNR3 because FNR2 is an absolute haymaker fest. You just spam haymakers until the other guy falls down.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a similar complaint with the flash KO in that you could be wailing on a guy for most of the fight and you're out in one counter.

I realize this is much more reflective of real boxing-must like two guys throwing haymakers would make for a quick and uninteresting fight-but I find it very frustrating from a gaming perspective.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:21 PM

Default I vote Fight Night 2

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a similar complaint with the flash KO in that you could be wailing on a guy for most of the fight and you're out in one counter.

I realize this is much more reflective of real boxing-must like two guys throwing haymakers would make for a quick and uninteresting fight-but I find it very frustrating from a gaming perspective.

[/ QUOTE ]

The flash KO didn't really come up that often, though, and it's not like it would mean the end of the fight.

I played FN2 a ton, and just bought FN3, and have to say I'm a little disappointed. There is more 'boxing' which I guess is good, but it's slower . . .

To be honest, at the moment I'm not sure which I prefer, meaning that if I was in your spot, with FN2 being that much cheaper, I'd go for it.

To those Fight Night veterans, are you as pissed off as I am that they did so LITTLE to change the voiceovers in Fight Night 3? The patter is maybe 60-70% identical to Fight Night 2.

And I'm tired of the guy telling me after Round 1 that that was probably my best round of the night. No [censored], sherlock. Just sloppy.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:25 PM

Default Re: I vote Fight Night 2

[ QUOTE ]

The flash KO didn't really come up that often, though, and it's not like it would mean the end of the fight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Guess it depends on who you're playing and what you're style is . Flash KO's seemed to happen to me all the time the only time I played online but that's just because the prevaling style among n00bs seems to be to just sit back and counter with haymakers which invariably leads to a flash ko itself or a rapid sequence resulting in a flash ko.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:25 PM

Default Re: I vote Fight Night 2

Thanks for the input. Cheap wins!