Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2007, 04:51 PM

Default Is AP 1/2 beatable???

I just started playing at Absolute yesterday and after my session noticed that I paid $99 in rake in 930 hands, this is approximately 5.5 bb/100 in paid rake alone, more then double other sites I'm pretty sure. I realize this is due to the BBJ but at 1/2 you dont really have a choice but to play anything but the BBJ tables. I do have rakeback, which is the reason I started playing there to begin with but do I need to look into moving my bankroll somewhere else until I can play 2/4 and 3/6 so the rake doesn't burn as bad?
Old 08-27-2007, 05:41 PM

Default Re: Is AP 1/2 beatable???

short answer yes

in depth- i dont think it as if you are playing the bbj tables
I actually frequent this level and site quite often and have grinded from .25/.5 at AP to 1/2 and have continued to profit...mind you i always run goot though

IMHO if you are playing the BBJ tables, the play there is HORRIBLE, so it may still even be hypothetically possible to beat, but just understand if you sit at a table at 1/2 that isnt bbj you likely will be playing against the better players at this level (although still its just 1/2)

Look for me on AP some if youre on and tell me to go do my work for law school (sn there is inonuthin66) and just note that occasionally my g/f plays on my sn so if theres no response or you see me playing really loose passive its her, but if you see a lagtard its prolly me
Old 08-27-2007, 06:17 PM

no, rake is too much for 1/2

rake is too high for 3/6 really
Old 08-27-2007, 07:58 PM

I don't see how any limit with 5.5 BB / 100 true cost can be beatable. You mentioned you have rakeback but you didn't say what %. This is key in determining the real cost of playing.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:10 AM

Rakeback is usually at 30%. So with RB and bonus I think it is possible to show a nice profit. Still the Rake is killer but does it get better when moving up in limits???
Old 08-28-2007, 06:20 AM

I havent played the 1/2 at AP in a while. Pre BBJ on AP it was easily beatable. A good player would be able to run at 2.5 to 3 long term with good table selection IMO.

One thing that people need to realize with the BBJ rake is that it isnt rake. There is an expected value depending on the size of the jackpot and whenever it is large enough - as it is now - you have a positive expectation of the money paid to the jackpot.

The rake on 3/6 is better but still high. Dont expect to beat that game unless you are really good at poker. There is some terribly good regulars playing there.

Life is much easier on 5/10 and up, since the games arent that much tougher but the rake is a lot lower. But still, AP 5/10 plays like party 30/60 or stars 10/20 IMO. Tough game.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:07 PM

1/2 jackpot tables are still easily beatable. Sure, you pay $.50 extra per pot you drag but the fact that there are so many more bad players on those tables more than makes up for it. You just have to practice good table selection and know when to get off of a table that went from a bunch of LP's to LAG/TAGs.

There are still lots and lots of 60/2's and 78/20's to go around at 1/2 jackpot level.

Even with the jackpot rake, I'm 3BB/100 the last 10k hands and I pretty much suck. However, I won't play there without a bonus to clear. Thankfully they hand them out like candy.