Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2007, 06:18 PM

Default AQ against rr,akward stacks...I just never know what to do here

I don't have the HH for this specific hand,but I've had this happen to me a few times lately,and I'm wondering if there's a blueprint for how to handle this situation.

Stars $10/27 SNG

Blinds 25/50. Both myself and villain has around 1600. We are 8 handed. MP limp, Kenny7(CO) has A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] raises to 200,2 folds,BB raises to 700, MP folds, Kenny7 ???

No definate read on BB,I'd say his play so far has been standard. My natural reaction would be to fold here,but I'm wondering if I'm assigning to tight a range to BB? Is a random capable of making this move with nothing?
Old 10-19-2007, 06:35 PM

Default Re: AQ against rr,akward stacks...I just never know what to do here

depends on read i might fold i might shove
Old 10-19-2007, 06:38 PM

standard is to fold here - if you have no read that bb has a much wider 3-betting range than i would act accordingly.

they never reraise with AJ - and you might be up against JJ, TT sometimes, but i think most of the time you are dominated here - so against the ABC player you described i fold.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:39 PM

The BB is capable of making this move with ATC; and if we were deeper in the tourn. or the dynamics were different, Id shove here. Basically, as we move closer to OTB, our range widens pretty significantly from EP, and a player sitting in the blinds knows this; and can exploit us, if our 3-bet-calling, or 4-betting range doesnt shift some to compensate for this effect.
In this spot though, its a fold, IMO. We arent deep enough to let our position help us PoF, and if you make this call you are playing for stacks on the flop. I also dont think you much FE at all, if you shove. With a stronger read, I may feel different, but this early in the tournament, I dont think the BB is trying to exploit us enough times to dictate a call or a shove here, and more often than not, BB does have a legitmate hand; and I wouldnt include AQo in my 4-betting range here.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:03 PM

I'm not qualified to give advice yet, but I've been in this spot a ton lately. I share your instinct that this is a fold, but I'm a novice and a nit and I wonder if there is a different consensus.

From my perspective, I think we're crushed a ton here and behind 45/55 fairly often as well. At my level ($1 SnG), I have a reasonable chance at seeing A-x or K-x here, but I think those are real longshot holdings in your case.

If you had recently robbed the blinds and then open-raised here, you might widen his range a little, but otherwise I think he's going all the way with his hand I think we rarely like what we see when he turns it up.