Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2006, 04:00 PM

Default Unsure About Some Hands 1/2

I have been a lurker on these boards for a little over 6 months now. I started playing online at about the same time, and have gradually moved from .25/.50 to 1/2. I have been a winning player with about a 2BB/100 average.

But, over my last though 17k hands, I have been running about -0.4BB/100 though, and am not sure why as my style of play has not changed.

As per the recommendation of my friend, who is a well known poster on 2p2, I will be posting hands somewhat regularly until I can get my winrate back to where it should be. Hopefully you guys will be able to give me some insight and
help me to improve my game.

PokerRoom 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 calls, Button calls, SB folds.

Flop: (7 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 folds, Button calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.50 BB

Did I play this well, or way too agressively for the suited flop? Should I have folded once I was raised on the turn?

PokerRoom 1/2 Hold'em (4 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB caps</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (5 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 7 BB

Usually I take AKo/s to the turn and if my hand doesnt improve, I will fold. How far should it be taken on a somewhat uncoordinated rainbow flop? How about in the hand above?

PokerRoom 1/2 Hold'em (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. UTG+1 posts a blind of $1. UTG posts a blind of $1.
UTG (poster) checks, UTG+1 (poster) checks, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (11.50 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (5.75 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, Hero calls.

River: (8.75 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11.75 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
UTG has 5s 2h (full house, fives full of tens).
UTG+1 doesn't show.
Hero has Qs Ad (two pair, queens and tens).
Outcome: UTG wins 11.75 BB. </font>

UTG obviously should have never seen the flop, and I felt that I had the best holding throughout the hand based on the checkaround on the flop.

PokerRoom 1/2 Hold'em (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $1.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO (poster) checks, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (4.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, CO folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks.

River: (4.25 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 6.25 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
UTG has Ac Js (two pair, aces and jacks).
Hero has 4h 5h (one pair, fours).
Outcome: UTG wins 6.25 BB. </font>

When I have a flush draw, I will bet even without a pair, and will usually raise if a bet has already been placed as per SSHE. Do you guys find this to be +EV longterm?

Thanks! I'm sure there will be more to come later.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:04 PM

Default Re: Unsure About Some Hands 1/2

4 hands too many. I don't see any reads on your villains in these hands, which is important. What does SB cap with here? Or is hand two just a short handed donk fest?
Old 08-01-2006, 04:49 PM

Hand 1: I don't think the flop was too aggressive. You can't give someone credit for a flush everytime a monotone flop comes. I'm not sure you are ahead on the river 1:9 (need a read), but it's hard to fold here.

Hand 2: Again need a read. If SB is a loose stealer and continues to fire this isn't terrible. If he's a rock that never raised pf this is terrible.

Hand 3:

[ QUOTE ]
I felt that I had the best holding throughout the hand based on the checkaround on the flop

[/ QUOTE ]

Hard to tell you thought you were ahead with all your checking and calling. I don't mind the check on the flop with 5 players. On the turn the UTG's bet after the check through says he has a 5, Q or other small pocket pair to me. Either way you are in good shape. Raise this up. You might have even gotten him to fold his 5 if he was weak tight. If not you got yourself a bad beat story on the river, but at least you didn't just call down.

Hand 4:

The bet on the flop is a good value bet.

[ QUOTE ]
When I have a flush draw, I will bet even without a pair, and will usually raise if a bet has already been placed as per SSHE. Do you guys find this to be +EV longterm?

[/ QUOTE ]

Careful on your quote above. For a raise to be good it depends on where the bet is coming from. If you are betting raising for value with a draw you don't want to drive people out. In this case you wanted everyone to call your bet since you are winning more than 1/4 of the time. UTG ruined your plan and raised driving everyone out. You had no way of knowing that in this case so the is ok. But if UTG had raised pf it would have been better to c/r since you'd expect UTG to bet and hopefully everyone calls then you raise and hoping to get everyone to call two. SSHE doesn't say bet or raise anytime you have a flush draw - it says bet or raise when there is value or it might get you a free card.
Old 08-01-2006, 05:08 PM

In the future, you should not post results as they may bias opinions.

Hand 1:

I would play the same.

Hand 2:

What to do here would depend on a read or some stats. This is a blind vs blind situation. What do you do if he bets the river?

Hand3:

I would not be afraid to bet that flop. Someone could have a T but it's not a scary flop, everyone checked to you and you can possibly get some hands to fold, you might get a free turn card, you have position. The pot is big, betting gives you a better chance of winning it. You have two OCs, a BDFD, and a BDSD.

As played, the Qd is a great card for us but I would play the turn and the river the same but I may be biased since I have seen the results. I am sure a case can be made for raising.

Hand 4: I am not even sure I would play small suited connected cards here. Their value suffers in short handed games and you have only 2 limpers before you. Being on the button, it could very well be ok.

As played, I would also call that river considering the way villain played it. We are getting better than 5:1.

Edit: typo
Old 08-08-2006, 03:53 AM

Hand 2: If SB bet the river, I would fold... probably why my river fold rate is about 45% [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 08-08-2006, 03:59 AM

Hand 3: Yeah... I probably should have bet the flop... assuming 3 folds, what if someone raises my bet and bets on turn (no read)? Call down?
Old 08-08-2006, 10:27 AM

(Hand 3)
[ QUOTE ]
UTG obviously should have never seen the flop, and I felt that I had the best holding throughout the hand based on the checkaround on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]
While posting UTG is indeed dumb, once he had done so he wasn't terribly wrong to see the flop with another poster in the hand. It's just 1 sb for him to see a flop with a pot of possibly over 10 sb.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:04 AM

*Grunch*

Hand 1 - Reads? You played the hand well. You HAVE to bet that flop.

Hand 2 - Reads? Preflop looks fine, but I would have folded on the flop.

Hand 3 - That looks okay to me.

Hand 4 - I like a bet on the turn. Everything else looks fine.

Some notes - Try and get us some reads, it helps greatly. It looks like you are playing fine for the most part, just getting a little unlucky. That's poker man, just roll with it. Things will turn around for you.