Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2006, 10:24 AM

Default The Wisconsin Badgers.....

.....are likely the worst 1-loss BigTen team in history. I went to UW and am a fan, but they lost to the only good team they played and ended the season with a horrendous Buffalo team. I just can't see them getting anything other than murdered by the other 1-loss teams, except for maybe Rutgers. Ugh.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:05 AM

Default Re: The Wisconsin Badgers.....

I don't agree that this...

[ QUOTE ]
.....are likely the worst 1-loss BigTen team in history.

[/ QUOTE ]

follows from this....

[ QUOTE ]
but they lost to the only good team they played and ended the season with a horrendous Buffalo team.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say there is no way for us to tell how good they really are. The one bad game they had was against Illinois, but they came back strong from an early deficit to pull out the victory. Other than that game and the close win at Iowa they have dominated every game. It is just unfortunate(or maybe fortunate) for them that the Big10 is a little thin this year. They did beat Penn State at home and Iowa and Purdue on the road, those teams aren't complete pushovers.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:08 AM

Margin of victory is your friend.

According to Sagarin, around 13 or so overall, 26 predictor.

So, a pretty good team, but "I just can't see them getting anything other than murdered by the other 1-loss teams, except for maybe Rutgers," will probably be true by the end of the regular season, when ND and Ark get handed losses.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:21 AM

I highly doubt they're the worst 1-loss Big Ten team in history, although maybe in the last 5-10 years I'd buy.

As others said... can't really tell how good they are. Hell, it's hard to even tell how good the Big 10 is. Are OSU and Michigan and, to a lesser extent, Wisconsin, just THAT great this year, or are the other teams really weak? Hard to say until we see how the conference does in bowl games.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:54 PM

I think the Cap 1 Bowl is a good place for the Badgers. It's questionable at best if their merits would deserve a BCS game (if there was room for a 3rd Big10 team). I think a decent SEC opponent will show the Badger's true colors.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:09 PM

Yeah just like Auburn did last year.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah just like Auburn did last year.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks for reminding me how awesome that was.

I'm not sure if that's a shot at Wisconsin saying that they're over rated and will got throttled, or a shot at Auburn or both.
Either way, I think when the bowl games are over it will be pretty clear what kind of team Wisconsin was.
And when all the BCS games are over we'll still be hearing about who should have played OSU.
Old 11-20-2006, 05:42 PM

Thats me making fun of the SEC, which had nothing to do with anything you posted.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:07 PM

Wisconsin did it to themselves partly by not scheduling tougher non-conference games.

And the Big Televen did as well because Wisconsin didn't get to play OSU.

Everyone pretty much agrees to not even include Wisconsin among most of the other 1-loss teams because everyone mostly understands that they just aren't as good nor have played as good a schedule.

This whole bowl structure is still ticking me off.

Tressel was on Fox yesterday talking about his Youngstown St. team having to play the same team in the D1-AA playoffs and how tough it was..
And I just can't help but think that D1AA and D3 and so forth can set up playoff systems but D1 still can't do the right thing.

such a playoff system would be far more fair for a team like Wisconsin (who would have a decent chance of making it in) and getting a better opportunity to prove themselves than just playing in the Capital One Bowl or wherever they get assigned.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
.....are likely the worst 1-loss BigTen team in history. I went to UW and am a fan, but they lost to the only good team they played and ended the season with a horrendous Buffalo team. I just can't see them getting anything other than murdered by the other 1-loss teams, except for maybe Rutgers. Ugh.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think they would play ND tough.