Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2006, 01:40 AM

Default (60 Stars Turbo) Sb vs BB, flop top pair and a gutshot

Yuck. Give me a line here, I basicly hate all options. Folding seems very weak. Any raise will be a very big portion of my stack and basicly ties me to the pot with a very marginal hand. Calling means I most likely just postpone the decision to play for my stack or not until the turn. And there are a ton of cards I don't want to see. Fold/push?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (8 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

CO (t545)
Button (t1340)
SB (t1440)
Hero (t1365)
UTG (t1520)
UTG+1 (t2780)
MP1 (t2970)
MP2 (t1540)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t200) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t200</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero?
Old 03-07-2006, 01:57 AM

Default Re: (60 Stars Turbo) Sb vs BB, flop top pair and a gutshot

Unless you have a read that SB loves to complete with monsters, and rarely does otherwise, I'd make it 400. It's plenty enough to see if he's full of it or not. He's gonna be completely unsurprised this flop hit you and probably go away. I make this play all the time from SBs position with nothing, except I bet 100 into the pot. It's cheaper and less risky than a blind steal and seems to piss off BB less.
Old 03-07-2006, 03:10 AM

I'm pushing here. From my experience (at the party $55s) you will still get called by A5, 65, 54, and any other combo pair/draws.

Oh, and he might be FOS and you add 33% to your stack.

...and he might have you beat, but not usually.
Old 03-07-2006, 03:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd make it 400.

[/ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
I might have to go out and shoot a bear or somethiung to reclaim my manhood if I ever minraise.
Old 03-07-2006, 03:24 AM

There's a big difference between open minraising preflop and min-reraising vs. one villain in a pot. Try it sometime when you want to build a pot or when you want a cheap shenanigan call. But do it instantly in both cases. Timing is important. You have to have the element of surprise.
Old 03-07-2006, 04:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Unless you have a read that SB loves to complete with monsters, and rarely does otherwise, I'd make it 400. It's plenty enough to see if he's full of it or not. He's gonna be completely unsurprised this flop hit you and probably go away. I make this play all the time from SBs position with nothing, except I bet 100 into the pot. It's cheaper and less risky than a blind steal and seems to piss off BB less.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just threw up in my mouth a little. You have no clue where you are at if he 3 bets you here. Absent a super-tricky read on the SB I am jamming every time.
Old 03-07-2006, 05:03 AM

Exactly. If he threebets all in you probably should call.

You will have to call 865 to win the 1665 in the pot.

You are getting good odds, your hand might be best and if not you probably have 9 or 7 outs.
Old 03-07-2006, 05:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just threw up in my mouth a little. You have no clue where you are at if he 3 bets you here. Absent a super-tricky read on the SB I am jamming every time.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he's making a BS play he will probably go away. If he doesn't you very likely are beat. You think a non-super tricky villain is going to 3-bet w/o TP or an overpair here? When I just complete here it's either a steal or a trap. If I have a decent hand I raise it. I don't tend to push over the top of a resteal if I'm on a steal. What else do you put villain on?
Old 03-07-2006, 05:26 AM

Even if you are beat, you have outs to call for most hands but a made straight or a set.
Old 03-07-2006, 05:30 AM

Yeah I wasn't looking at your chipstack. You may have to call. Still though if you think villain is capable of coming back over the top w/o a worse hand, why not minraise? You aren't pushing out a better hand by pushing, I guarantee you that.