Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2007, 02:39 AM

Default Game that takes the most skill

Hoefully this fiots fo this forum.

Say in a major tournament setting, let's take the WSOP for example. Of all the games that are spread at the various buy ins, what game would you say takes the most skill to win? I assume it can't be the ME since the field is so huge now but would it be the HORSE, PLO, PLHE, or a Stud event?
Old 03-18-2007, 02:41 AM

Default Re: Game that takes the most skill

KC lowball
Old 03-18-2007, 02:45 AM

The $50k HORSE, no? 5x the buy in of the ME and 5x the number of games. The buy in theoretically thins the field of internet qualifiers and the 15-minutes-of-fame seekers - which requires more skill to get through the much tougher talent. And the number of disciplines, well, it may not take "more skill" but it takes skill at more games.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:25 PM

I was also thinking the HORSE event or possibly the highest buy in Seven Card Stud event as a close 2nd
Old 03-19-2007, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was also thinking the HORSE event or possibly the highest buy in Seven Card Stud event as a close 2nd

[/ QUOTE ]

About time some one regonized that stud is a game that requires more skill. Any two wont do like in Holdem
Old 03-19-2007, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

About time some one regonized that stud is a game that requires more skill. Any two wont do like in Holdem

[/ QUOTE ]

Any 2 that happen to match my door card will do just fine! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-19-2007, 06:08 PM

It would be interesting to see how some of the pros would do in a smaller buy in horse event say $1,500 where there were sure to be a lot more amateurs entered?
Old 03-19-2007, 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It would be interesting to see how some of the pros would do in a smaller buy in horse event say $1,500 where there were sure to be a lot more amateurs entered?

[/ QUOTE ]

I to wish there was a horse event around the 1500 buyin.
A far as how the pros would do I would think very well because of the many assorted skills involved for each varient. Your N/L donkers just dont have the strategic and tactical knowledge.
Sunglasses and nintendo are more tactical for them. A rough quote from Angel Largay.
To me the highest skilled games would be Horse, stud, and P/L. Lowball I cannot even comment on.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:20 PM

Sklansky wrote an article on this. Its in the Sklansky on Poker book...the one with the razz chapters in it.

He says NLH is game with highest amount of skill. He strikes comparison with being complex vs skillful.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:35 PM

Any tournament where stacks are significantly deeper compared to other tournaments will have more skill.

The $5000 7-Stud event may involve more skill than the $1500 NL Hold'em because the players get more chips and play time, but the $5000 6-handed NL Hold'em tournament IMO will involve significantly more skill than a $10000 PL Omaha event, because the difference in skill between the two games is that great.

I'd say stack sizes are the #1 determinate of skill in tournaments, and the game played is probably secondary.

What event will involve the most skill? Probably the $50k HORSE for 3 reasons:

1. Stacks will be HUGE,
2. One must be skilled at 5 limit games, and
3. The field will be composed of the most skillful players.