Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2007, 02:19 AM

Default Playing pocket AA and KK

Ok, so i was wanting to know the best way to play AA or KK and how to know to lay them down if someone has hit a set. Often times i raise 5x bb pre flop and get a caller. Flop hits lets say q75 rainbow. I bet pot, i get a get a call, turn 2, i bet pot again and get min raised... sign of a set? Half the time they have kq or qj at the low limits and the other half they have a 2 pair or set. What are some key reads in laying down AA post flop? What are some key tells as to whether they have top pair, chasing, or a monster?

Also what if they re raise on flop?

thanks so much!
Old 07-02-2007, 02:30 AM

Default Re: Playing pocket AA and KK

Raise 4xbb and 1bb per limper.

Pokertracker with a hud is the best way to workout what a players holds. However if you havent played with Villan before and he has just sat down its impossible to figure out what h has.

Best way too avoid getting stacked is by controlling the size of the pot. You could check-call a turn bet. That way the pot wont be too bloated by the river. So if you check the rivr and he shoves it will probaly make it eaiser to put him on a good hand as he is unlikely to shove with KQ or AQ(some donkey's will do this though).
Old 07-02-2007, 02:31 AM

Was this a game for real money?
Old 07-02-2007, 02:44 AM

yes it was for real money nl50
Old 07-02-2007, 02:47 AM

At low limits, never lay down AA or KK.

Well, almost never. If you have two black aces against T98 diamonds flop and you're up against three rocks jamming the pot, I guess you can fold.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:14 AM

you answered your own question, "Half the time they have kq or qj at the low limits and the other half they have a 2 pair or set." so in other words it's a coin flip, 50/50 chance. if you have no info on villian (how tight, loose, agressive, passive, etc..) all you have is your own collecttion of info to go on, thus you win half of the time and lose the other. still there must be the rare occasions when you hit that third ace or king when that happens extract as much from your opponents as possible, baring being outdrawn by possible flushes or straights.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:56 PM

Your question depends on the number of players. If you are heads up your advantage on the pre-flop is the following:

With AA: 71%
With KK: 65%

However with 10 players on the pre-flop you get the following:

With AA: 23%
With KK: 17%

This means that when you are playing heads up you will almost three times more chances to win with AA than when there are 10 players. Thats a big difference.

The reason you drop by three fold going from 2 players to 10 players is that 1 out of your 9 competitors will make a straight, flush, etc to beat you pair.

Im not going to explain much but you see what I mean. If you want to figure other scenarios (ie: 5 players, community cards, your opponent cards, etc) go to suitgamer.com
Old 07-03-2007, 02:07 AM

Make sure you win more when they have KQ than you lose when you have a set. That way, you'll win in the long run.