Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2007, 11:39 AM

Default 5/10 Razz: a 4th street spot where I should be getting tricky?

I don't really know seat 2 very well. Seems pretty loose and aggressive. Besides that, haven't really seen him do anything stupid so far. His raise is pretty loose, because I'm repping a ton of strength raising behind 3 limpers and then betting into this field.

Does anyone like flat-calling to disguise the strength of my hand, so I can hopefully get 2 or 3 bets in on a blank 5th or later street?

Razz ($5/$10), Ante $0.50, Bring-In $2 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.60 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 6: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___calls

4th Street - (5.00 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 4: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets___????
Seat 8: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Old 04-01-2007, 02:27 AM

Default Re: 5/10 Razz: a 4th street spot where I should be getting tricky?

Villain is raising to knock out the paired 7. This is a standard play discussed in SOP.

I think the flat call may be a little better in that it doesn't give so much information about your hand.

As I said, villain probably knows he probably doesn't have the best hand, so there is some advantage to charging him the max to continue. You are about a 2-1 favorite. You don't have a lock hand at this point.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:02 PM

Hmm. Is this really a standard play? Wouldn't the paired 7 be making an FTOP mistake by calling anyways, even when facing one bet? Why not let the 7 make that mistake?

FWIW, these are the next two streets. The question came up because I felt my opponent might've raised 6th here if I had not 3bet 4th. (He made an 86 on 6th.)

5th Street - (5.50 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets

6th Street - (7.50 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Old 04-03-2007, 08:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hmm. Is this really a standard play? Wouldn't the paired 7 be making an FTOP mistake by calling anyways, even when facing one bet? Why not let the 7 make that mistake?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's covered in Sklansky on Poker, pages 127-128. It's standard if Sklansky on Razz is considered a manual of standard players.

In this case, I think that the 8-3 would prefer to knock out the third player because that player most likely has a three-card seven and could be drawing to a better hand if he catches good on fifth. If the 8-3 instead had a 6-3 showing or had a 7-3 and the other player had paired eights, then perhaps calling and letting the third player in might be worth it.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:26 PM

I'd just keep my foot to the gas myself. You're likely to be out of position on fifth, especially if you maintain your lead. He may not raise if you lead, and he may check behind if you go for a check-raise. I'd get my money in sooner rather than later.