Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2007, 08:41 AM

Default 25NL, AJs OOP facing PF minraise

I was lost in this hand. It's probably a good idea to 3-bet this PF isn't it? As played, what's our flop action?

Everest Poker 25NL
5 players

Stack sizes:
HERO: $24.35
UTG: $29.44
BB: $15.65
CO: $22.59
BUTTON: $59.65

Pre-flop: HERO has (J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]) (5 players):
1 fold, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises to $0.50</font>, 1 fold, HERO calls for $0.35, BB calls for $0.25

Flop: Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (3 players, $1.50)
HERO checks, BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">CO bets $0.55</font>, HERO ???
Old 04-24-2007, 08:55 AM

Default Re: 25NL, AJs OOP facing PF minraise

I don't think 3bet preflop. I personally don't like building a pot oop, but I know some prefer to try to end it preflop (that is rare at this level though). This would be a situation where I would normally just call. Yes it's passive...blah,blah,blah...but I like to call and check the turn and see what he does. If he had TP/2pr/etc wouldn't he bet bigger and try to protect it against a extremely drawy board? I put him on a draw, or a hand he feels really unsure about. His turn bet will give you more info without you trying to pop him to test him and create a big pot. If he checks, he's likely taking a free card after his very weak semibluff. If he bets big, then he likely feels better about his hand after your check/call. I think this is the best way to get out cheap...or you could catch a non-spade 10 for the nuts!
Old 04-24-2007, 09:05 AM

If opponent is loose(VPIP above at least 40%), I will 3bet him here at least 50% of the time. If opponent is tight I normally fold this PF. You dont want to call raises with hands like these too often in the SB as its a losing battle. Plus the occasional donk minraises with AA/KK/AK here as well.
On the flop, what do we beat here, aside from a weaker A/under PP. You can make the decision to just C/C him down and look him up or you can try 3betting him here and see if your hand is good. He could very well have a small PP and just be probbing to see if anyone has anything but I think we have to fold this here though. This is just a very read dependaet hand for me.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:18 AM

Oh yea, forgot to mention: Villain is 40/13/1.5 over 150 hands.

I somehow can't edit opening post?
Old 04-24-2007, 09:27 AM

I'm 3betting this all day. If you're not, it's a leak.

The question I have for you, is why do you call? Are you hoping to flop an Ace? Flop a J? If you're worried if the A flops, wtf are you just calling since you think you're behind? If you ARE hoping to hit an A, then that must mean you think you're ahead. So if you're ahead, wtf are you not 3betting? See how that works?

And Skleice, I think you are completely wrong about 3betting working or not working at this level. It works a ton. I'm running at better than 13PTBB/100 at this level over a whole lotta hands...I'm telling you, AJ+, you bet your butt 3betting is the best bet.

Now, if villain is a nit, I have no problem mucking here. But calling is your absolute worst option imo.

And why are you not betting this flop? You've put yourself into a position where you're going to have to put in even more money to find out where the heck you are in the hand.

Just ugh the whole way and I hope you see why. Good luck and try it out!
Old 04-24-2007, 09:43 AM

3bet preflop. you don't want to grow a pot but take it home. If you call, you are giving BB GREAT odds to call and then you are oop multiway. The hand plays completely differently then, if it plays at all...

As played, I like a fold here. The board is very drawy and there are many high cards that might have given some people some pairs. so there are lots of reasons for people to call you if you raise. You have little chance of improving except the obvious straight. But then you need to dodge the flush and you probably split. 2pair is probably deadly.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:16 AM

3b this, AJ is holding up fairly well vs. his range.

Lead the flop and reevaluate.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The question I have for you, is why do you call? Are you hoping to flop an Ace? Flop a J? If you're worried if the A flops, wtf are you just calling since you think you're behind? If you ARE hoping to hit an A, then that must mean you think you're ahead. So if you're ahead, wtf are you not 3betting? See how that works?

And Skleice, I think you are completely wrong about 3betting working or not working at this level. It works a ton. I'm running at better than 13PTBB/100 at this level over a whole lotta hands...I'm telling you, AJ+, you bet your butt 3betting is the best bet.

Now, if villain is a nit, I have no problem mucking here. But calling is your absolute worst option imo.

And why are you not betting this flop? You've put yourself into a position where you're going to have to put in even more money to find out where the heck you are in the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
So do you pretty much never coldcall a raise OOP?
Old 04-24-2007, 10:40 AM

pf raise to like 2$ or 2.25 or smthn as played i actually just call flop
Old 04-24-2007, 11:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
So do you pretty much never coldcall a raise OOP?

[/ QUOTE ]

I just looked. Other than PP's, in my last 13k hands, I've done it only a handful of times. Almost every time is vs someone who I know I can stack if I hit either my set or my sc's hit big.