Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2007, 07:12 PM

Default I\'m no good at this live poker thing(Dublin trip report)

Cliff notes: Build to 17x starting stack and bubble

Day 1:

So I'm 0/5 at cashing live tournaments, and decide I'm going to do something different this time; I'm gonna suckout.

I have a mediocre starting table, no one seemed great, but no one seemed awful. I splash around a decent amount at the start and hover between 12 and 16k without too many interesting pots,

The first noteable pot, I raise HJ with T7o, CO calls, SB calls, BB calls at 50/100

Flop: T73ss, I make it 725, SB calls, BB who has been extremely active makes it 2725, I call planning to fold spade turns.
Turn: 9 he bets like 4300, I have like 12k, think it over and shove, he folds pretty quickly, guess he would have owned me on spade turns.

I continue playing a decent number of pots, then at 75/150, HJ-2 limps, I limp HJ with 77, button who is straightforward makes it 750.

HJ-2 calls, I call, flop: A82hh
check, check, check, I'm pretty confident button has one ace here about as often as he has 2 aces.

Turn: 2h, check, I bet 1625, button cals, and I'm quite confident he has a pair between 99-KK, often with a heart.
River: 6c or something, I bet 3000, he calls with KQhh.

I don't play any interesting pots until 150/300

I am down to like 12k, I raise QT in the CO to 800, SB calls

Flop: KQ8hh, check check
Turn: 4, check, I bet like 1100, he calls
River: 4, he checks, I think hes hero calling me a bunch, so I bet 2k, he makes it 4600, and my head asplodes

I call because I like getting value towned and somehow have the best hand.

2 hands later, I raise with 99, button calls, BB calls

Flop: 865, check, I bet like 1500, button calls.
Turn: 2,check bet 2200, in retrospect, I think folding is probably best here, but I call.
River: J, I bet 1500 since I think he will sometimes have worse and call, and I don't think he ever bluff raises, he makes it 3500, I fold.

I'm down to about 11k and 150/300/25, when I decide its a good time to suckout.

HJ-1 raises to 800, I make it 2200 in the CO with A3ss since he had made some comment earlier about QQ+ and AK are the only 4bet worthy hands.

He calls, flop: J52ss, he checks, I bet 3500, he makes it 7k after some thinking(lol). Maybe I should take the safe route and call planning to fold J, 5 or 2 turns, but I stick it in and own his 55.

I get moved to another table at this point and have position on Johnny Lodden which is pretty sweet, but I'm moved like again like 4 hands later.

I was wondering how the avg was like 22 at this point since I had like 24k and was a big stack at both my tables.

This table must have been why, there was an 80k stack, and a bunch of 35-50 stacks.

Relatively early at the new table, I raise to 900 in the CO with KK, button calls, both blinds fold.

Flop: 863r, I bet 1500, he calls
Turn: 2, I bet 3500, he makes it 11500, I have like 10k more, and shove, he folds.

I win a few more pots and get up to like 41k.

The chipleader to my right(~22 year old Swedish limit player) recently lost a big pot, but still has like 65k

He makes it 1200 on the button at 200/400, I make it 4200 in the SB with AK, he calls

Flop: AQ6, I bet 5500, he calls
Turn: T, check check
River: 3, I bet 11k, he calls

I steal a few more blinds and end the day as the 1a chipleader with 67k, and am just wondering how I'm going to n-bet punt my stack.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:28 PM

Default Re: I\'m no good at this live poker thing(Dublin trip report)

[ QUOTE ]
end the day as the 1a chipleader with 67k

[/ QUOTE ]

very nice Mike. keep going, you can do it.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Errr... you missed the cliff notes...
Old 11-01-2007, 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
n-bet punt my stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

go for 6, you can do it!
Old 11-01-2007, 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Errr... you missed the cliff notes...

[/ QUOTE ]

oh piss, you're right. I'm sorry Mike. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

forgive me, I'm getting ready to play my first freeroll on FT & am too excited. You'll win one yet, I'm sure!
Old 11-01-2007, 07:40 PM

Day 2:

Dan and I wake up, and take a cab to a friends place who wanted me to teach him tournament poker or something(last time he ghosted me, I ran into AA with 45 left in the million twice within an orbit, maybe I can suck less this time).

Our cab driver takes us to the wrong hotel out in the middle of nowhere, and then get another cab to take us to his place, we get there, order room service which takes ridiculously long, then head out.

As 3 18 year old internet players, we obv can't find a cab, and end up showing up like 20 minutes late for the tourney.

The first real hand I play was one of the more intersting pots of the day.

300/600/75, UTG limps, I raise to 2500 with 66 UTG+1, he calls(Dave Colclough)

Flop: 542hh, check, bet 3500, he makes it 12500 with like 30k behind.

I thought a while and realize how awesome his spot is to bluff since I only play back with like AA-55, AXhh, but I folded, and after talking to him, he had a set.

Blinds go up to 400/800/100, one player limps in mid-early, I raise to 3000 with KK, SB makes it 9500 with like 40k back, I shove relatively quickly, he tanks a bit and folds, pretty sure he calls JJ and AK, but maybe live people fold even more than I realize.

A little while later, I raise to 2500 with 33 in the CO, button calls
Flop: 664 rainbow, he has like 24k, and I'm not sure what the best line is here, he is relatively tight(the same player I had 99 against on day 1)

I check, he bets 4k, and I call hopeing for some good turn card

Turn: 9, I check, he bets 7k, I am pretty sure he is FOS a lot, and my line looks a lot like an overpair if I shove, so I shove, he folds and I'm up to like 90k.

I win a couple small pots, and get up to like 102k when my table breaks.

I get moved to a new table with a bunch of shorties and a couple reasonable stacks, the only player I recognize(theah on Ladbrokes) is on my right.

1st hand, I raise the CO with 3k(500/1000/1000) with KJcc

SB talks a bit and then calls, so I think he has a pretty decent hand, once I look at his stack, I second guess myself since he is like 55k deep.

Flop: QT9hh, he bets 5k, I make it 15k, he shoves, I call expecting to be getting freerolled, and he tables KK, I hold and am up to 165 and am probably one of the big stacks.

I don't play a ton of hands at the table since everyone is short, but when I do, they always fold, so I start playing more pots.

Eventually a shortstack in the HJ shoves like 10k at 600/1200, I call with KQ and hold against K9 to get up to like 197 at the dinner break.

After dinner, I call a HJ raise from CO with KQ, BB calls too
Flop: AJTcc, ez game, checked around(BB had like 1PSB, HJ had like 3 PSBs)

Turn: blanks, BB shoves, HJ folds, I call and hold against A7

Next hand, I raise 55, BB calls

Flop: J65, he checks, I bet, he shoves like 20k, I call, and am up to 260 when our table breaks.

My new table has Andy black 2 to my left, and he is relatively deep with 120k or so, and there are a bunch of other players with like 50-100k which is kinda nice compared to my last table.

My first orbit at the table, I raise to 6k(1k/2k/200) with JJ on the button, Andy calls in the BB, flop: Q86dd, he leads 9k, and I have no idea what to do here against someone who likes betting lots.

I call, turn: 5, he bets 22k, and I fold, maybe I can raise flop, or call turn and river, but I don't know much about how he plays, bleh.

A little while later, I raise 7s6co in the HJ after not being particularly agressive, Andy calls on the button.

Flop: 864ss, 17k in the pot, he has like 110 back, and I have no idea what to do.

I really think he is going to fire a ton if I check to him, so I like checking all my good hands, but my hand isn't really that good, I guess I'd like to play the hand in a way to fold out like A8, 98, but I don't really know what line will work best against him.

I check, he bets 10k relatively quickly, I figure after losing that pot to him, it will look a lot like I'm making a move, so I check raise to 27k, he shoves 80 more, I call and lose to 99.

I'm down to like 130 and don't really do anything, I have no real interesting pots until 1200/2400/300, when HJ raises to 7k, hes not particularly active, but not tight either, I'm only going to 3bet hands where I snap call a shove(he was like 85k deep), andy was SB after seat 2 busted, and Annette is BB.

I 3bet to 22k with JJ, Annette shoves in the BB, I call and her AQ wins.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:52 PM

thanks for posting this, timex. thoughts on annette's AQ shove if you don't mind? i don't like it too much, but what do i know. i guess its okay looking at positions. must be a dream traveling the live tourney scene, for real.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
thanks for posting this, timex. thoughts on annette's AQ shove if you don't mind? i don't like it too much, but what do i know. must be a dream traveling the live tourney scene, for real.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its tough to say without her really knowing the table dynamic.

I'm assuming she assumes I'm one of those guys that likes to put in lots of chips and fold, but against a player who is capable of 4betting light, I'm rarely 3bet folding.

Her shove was certainly quite -EV here, but if I get moved to a table, and 15 minutes later see a 20 year old scandie open in the HJ, and some 18 year old punk 3bet on the button, when the bubble is approaching, I'd assume my AQ is in pretty good shape.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:25 PM

Timex, good report. Amazing how live is so easy and so hard at the same time isn't it?

Some thoughts: the QT made my head asplode too. It's the kind of hand trying to explain online makes zero sense.

The 99 hand i don't mind your turn call at all but its obv player dependent.

The As3s hand, i think i either bet a bit more or a fair bit less on the flop. Either i want to 3 bet all in with FE over a CR, or i want to bet an amount that makes some dumbass who CR's 88 think he'll never get a fold. Obv wouldn't have mattered here.

Good line with the AKo.

Day 2 hands:

Is it bad i just want to limp the 66 behind? I guess raising is fine if table is super aggro and will iso me later on.

The KK hand. Yes live players would absolutely fold JJ/AK there, absolutely ABSOLUTELY. Keep in mind that a live players perception of 4 betting ranges at these stacks is like KK/AA and no insane person in their world would ever do that with 99+/AQs+ so your shove is going to get some sick tight folds, even if you have an image that open raises a lot.

The Andy black 76 hand. I don't know how Andy plays, i don't know what the table dynamic was at the time. It's easy for me to say this having read the results, but if the dynamic is such that he won't fold a good 8 or any over pair to you ever, then i prefer c/c the flop.

The JJ hand, win a flip sometime. IDK, live poker is hard and frustrating despite the players being so so SOOO much worse in most cases.

You're coming to Macau right?
Old 11-01-2007, 09:40 PM

Did you skip Niagara for Dublin?