Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2006, 10:41 AM

Default Trips against a lag

Villian just sat down like 20 hands ago. He is somthing like 70/50 since sitting down, although he doesnt seem to be making dumb post flop plays, like maybe he's just really really lagging it up but knows how to play--this is just my thoughts at the time though...no real read. I hav'nt seen him make any dumb plays, of course he is rarely making it to showdown. He's already doubled up once--he flopped a straight after raising pf with 64. He seems to have the whole table tilted and playing very loose. Our only history came about 5 hands ago and had me calling a pfr, raising the flop with a draw, and him 3-bet pushing. I folded.

Hero is on the button with 7s6s and $110, Villian is in MP and covers.

Villian raises to $5. Hero calls. Both blinds fold.

Flop: Ac7c7x

Villian bets $5. I raise to $25. Villian pauses for like 10 seconds and calls.

Turn 2c.

Villian open pushes. Hero??
Old 06-06-2006, 10:43 AM

Default Re: Trips against a lag

If he's such a lag, why raise the flop? Just continue to let him hang himself. And if you ARE behind you protect yourself from this situation.

Edit: I fold to this push. You represented trips on the flop and he doesn't care.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:48 AM

Post by Sklansky in HSNL a few months back about LAGs. I think it's very good and might be pertinent here:

[ QUOTE ]
Here's something else you solid, studious, but possibly creatively challenged players, should know when it comes to playing the hotshots who can usually get away with grossly overplaying the initial blinds.

The following points are similar but I'll break it down into three ideas:

1. These players are not offering you the implied odds you think they are. Just because they seem to splash in the early rounds does not mean it is worth drawing to longshots in the hopes of a big payday. You won't usually get that payday.

2. These players often have enormous stacks in front of them. But it is mainly for show. Many of you will misconstrue the size of their stacks into thinking not only that you will be getting great implied odds, but also that small pots don't matter to them. Believe me, even though they might put 10K in front of them in a 10-20 game, these guys are perfectly satisfied with, and are often only shooting for a $2000 win. Your $2000.

3. Do not extrapolate their small money showmanship to implications about their bigger bets (or calls). We are talking Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde here. They take these big bets very seriously. Maybe even more seriously than you do. That's not to say that they won't occasionally throw in a big bluff, or even on rare occasions call a big bet from you with a mediocre hand. But generally their play involving big bets is nothing like a naive observation of their small bet play would indicate.

Bottom line is that these guys play better than you. But if they insist upon being suckers preflop, and you heed my advice, you should beat them.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-06-2006, 10:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Post by Sklansky in HSNL a few months back about LAGs. I think it's very good and might be pertinent here:

[ QUOTE ]
Here's something else you solid, studious, but possibly creatively challenged players, should know when it comes to playing the hotshots who can usually get away with grossly overplaying the initial blinds.

The following points are similar but I'll break it down into three ideas:

1. These players are not offering you the implied odds you think they are. Just because they seem to splash in the early rounds does not mean it is worth drawing to longshots in the hopes of a big payday. You won't usually get that payday.

2. These players often have enormous stacks in front of them. But it is mainly for show. Many of you will misconstrue the size of their stacks into thinking not only that you will be getting great implied odds, but also that small pots don't matter to them. Believe me, even though they might put 10K in front of them in a 10-20 game, these guys are perfectly satisfied with, and are often only shooting for a $2000 win. Your $2000.

3. Do not extrapolate their small money showmanship to implications about their bigger bets (or calls). We are talking Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde here. They take these big bets very seriously. Maybe even more seriously than you do. That's not to say that they won't occasionally throw in a big bluff, or even on rare occasions call a big bet from you with a mediocre hand. But generally their play involving big bets is nothing like a naive observation of their small bet play would indicate.

Bottom line is that these guys play better than you. But if they insist upon being suckers preflop, and you heed my advice, you should beat them.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

can you post the link to this? I'd like to see the thread
Old 06-06-2006, 11:02 AM

And what is "his advice" that he refers to?
Old 06-06-2006, 11:06 AM

Quote was from this: Don't be a sucker: part 2

Here is Don't be a sucker: part 1
Old 06-06-2006, 11:11 AM

ML4L's post, The Running Game: linky
Old 06-06-2006, 11:13 AM

insta-calls.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:30 AM

Umm, I think I call here. I don't think he has the flush. I'm actually most worried about trips with a better kicker.