Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2006, 02:51 PM

Default B&M Question

Last night was my first night in a real B&M - away from the Thursday night home game & online.

Played a "freeroll" NL tourney (not really "freeroll" because of the rebuys/add-ons, my total investment ended up being $45)....anyway....I know that if you're in the money in one of these things - you're supposed to tip the dealer (and - even if you're not - we were encouraged by the floorman)....I asked the guy I split first with (sorry had to throw that in there [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ) how much to tip - and he said 5-10%...since it was my first time there, I tipped at the higher end of that - $700 win - so I threw the dealer $70.

Is this an appropriate amount? I know the FAQ talks about tipping the dealer at cash games...but what about tourneys?

Also - the girl who game around asking what people wanted to drink - I asked for a water...she came back - I was ready to pay for it & tip her...but she just gave me the water, smiled, and quickly walked away...obviously the water was free - and it didn't seem like she was the least bit expecting a tip. Is this normal??....

sorry for asking basic etiquette questions - but I guess everyone has to start somewhere.
Old 07-01-2006, 03:50 PM

Default Re: B&M Question

I'll avoid the first question [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] but as far as tipping on the water - yes, you probably should.
The waitress is still carrying the thing around for you to take. In my book it still counts as a drink.
Old 07-01-2006, 03:59 PM

I've read that about 3-5% is standard. The dealers on this forum will probably agree with your 5-10% though!

You should pretty much always tip your waitress ($1 is fine for drinks)

The only time I sometimes don't is if she's walking by and has a couple waters on her tray and I grab one from her (and I've been ordering drinks and tipping all day). But as a general rule, always tip.
Old 07-01-2006, 04:15 PM

Congratulations on your split. I don't play tournies so I will skip the first question, but I drink tons of water at the table. I always tip a buck. I had a waitress walk away quick (I was going for the tip) and I called her back to tip her.
Old 07-01-2006, 04:15 PM

I always tip whomever brings me my water a buck.
Old 07-01-2006, 06:10 PM

thanks for the "tip"....it's just that I'm used to when a tip is expected that the person kind of hesitates for a second to give you the opportunity to tip them...and she definitely didn't...but - for next time, I know better.
Old 07-01-2006, 06:15 PM

If she leaves quickly then she doesn't expect a tip and there's no point in losing focus on the game to try and get her back. If you are a nice guy who consistently gives a tip for the small things like a bottle of water then it will all even out in the long run.
Old 07-01-2006, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
thanks for the "tip"....it's just that I'm used to when a tip is expected that the person kind of hesitates for a second to give you the opportunity to tip them...and she definitely didn't...but - for next time, I know better.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is not uncommon for them to get "stiffed" by tournament players so they often don't wait around (regulars will normally have thier tip ready for them in a touranment becasue it requires getting out their wallet rather than taking a chip off their stack).