Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 08:43 PM

Default Dumb Rules

Many rules/laws we view as dumb, but there likely is a reasonable/plausible explanation for them. Some, however, seem to make no sense whatsoever. Post them here.

I just got back from Vegas, and was told I cannot listen to my ipod while the plane is taking off or landing. 15 years ago when I would fly home from college I could listen to my Walkman without possibly bringing down the plane, but apparently my ipod is much too dangerous. I find this rule to be dumb. What am I overlooking?
Old 06-25-2007, 08:49 PM

Default Re: Dumb Rules

digital vs mechanical devices.

basically, the FAA is to lazy/dont want to spend teh money to figure out if there really is any harm.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

basically, the FAA is to lazy/dont want to spend teh money to figure out if there really is any harm.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find it funny how they allow people to use cell phones to call.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the cell phone thing really stems from teh fact that 1. there will be higher incidences of problems from passengers (ie, guys yelling at each other to get off their phones) 2. if a plane goes down/terrorist attack, it could cause unnecessary panic 3. they dont want to test every handset on teh market to see if it interferes with the planes on board electronics.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

not once the plane is ready to take off.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3. they dont want to test every handset on teh market to see if it interferes with the plains on board electronics.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-25-2007, 09:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Many rules/laws we view as dumb, but there likely is a reasonable/plausible explanation for them. Some, however, seem to make no sense whatsoever. Post them here.

I just got back from Vegas, and was told I cannot listen to my ipod while the plane is taking off or landing. 15 years ago when I would fly home from college I could listen to my Walkman without possibly bringing down the plane, but apparently my ipod is much too dangerous. I find this rule to be dumb. What am I overlooking?

[/ QUOTE ]

Would this not be simply because you have to listen to the safety spiel? On take off anyway
Old 06-25-2007, 09:46 PM

Flying would be so terrible if people could talk on their cell phones.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Would this not be simply because you have to listen to the safety spiel? On take off anyway

[/ QUOTE ]

no.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:58 PM

i hate listening to complaints of trivial rules. Just turn your iPod off and don't worry about it, read a magazine for 10 mins or something.

Here's a rule (law) that I think is dumb. That it is illegal to buy and sell marijuana and some other drugs. I don't even use any of it but i just don't agree with it. how's that for a topic of discussion?

but I don't really want to have a discussion on that and haven't really thought it out too well so disregard it if you want.
Closed Thread