Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2007, 09:53 AM

Default overcards (sigh)

Villain is 17/2,3/1,19 ('Rock' according to my autorate) over 260 hands, only real read I have is that he raises ATs preflop.

Poker Stars
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $0.25/$0.5
9 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
3 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, MP2 calls, CO calls, Button calls.

Flop: 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (9SB, 4 players)
Hero checks, MP2 checks, CO checks, <font color="#cc0000">Button bets</font>, Hero calls, 2 folds.

Turn: 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (5.5BB, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (7.5BB, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">Button bets</font>, Hero...?
Old 05-06-2007, 09:54 AM

Default Re: overcards (sigh)

*grunch*
hero folds
Old 05-06-2007, 10:04 AM

You can fold the turn here, calling the river would be really bad.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:32 AM

I'd go ahead and lead on the flop. Yeah, there's three opponents and it'd be impossible to chase them all, but the board is paired and the likelihood that you still have the best hand is larger than average. This bet is for value.

Also, the raise-preflop-check-flop line signals to anyone who knows what they're doing — and Villain's stats clearly state that he didn't just come in off the banana boat — that you have AK and whiffed. He's more than likely taking you to Valuetown with something like 88/99. Hell, he's a rock, TT and JJ are probably in that range, too. Betting might signal to him that you have a Q or an overpair.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, the raise-preflop-check-flop line signals to anyone who knows what they're doing — and Villain's stats clearly state that he didn't just come in off the banana boat — that you have AK and whiffed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to point out that a lot of time when I see this line that the villian didn't whiff, but rather hit the flop hard (i.e. set).

-J
Old 05-06-2007, 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, the raise-preflop-check-flop line signals to anyone who knows what they're doing — and Villain's stats clearly state that he didn't just come in off the banana boat — that you have AK and whiffed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to point out that a lot of time when I see this line that the villian didn't whiff, but rather hit the flop hard (i.e. set).

-J

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but in those instances, the turn action would have been much different.

If villian in this hand is value betting anything, he is wise to go ahead and bet the river, so our hero, who is a good player, can fold his UI overs, but most donks will call cause they have AK.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-J

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but in those instances, the turn action would have been much different.

If villian in this hand is value betting anything, he is wise to go ahead and bet the river, so our hero, who is a good player, can fold his UI overs, but most donks will call cause they have AK.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to clarify, I was not disagreeing w/the advice given inre the hand, but rather simply pointing out that a raise pf followed by a check is not always missed overs [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img].

-J
Old 05-06-2007, 11:56 AM

I would bet this flop on the basis that the paired board means the opposition are likely to have missed their hands. Having checked, even the flop call is questionable against this guy. I would definitely fold the turn, so folding the river is a given.
Old 05-06-2007, 01:11 PM

cbet flop. don't call down. fold river
Old 05-06-2007, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Villain is 17/2,3/1,19 ('Rock' according to my autorate) over 260 hands, only real read I have is that he raises ATs preflop.

Poker Stars
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $0.25/$0.5
9 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
3 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, MP2 calls, CO calls, Button calls.

Flop: 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (9SB, 4 players)
Hero checks, MP2 checks, CO checks, <font color="#cc0000">Button bets</font>, Hero calls, 2 folds.

Turn: 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (5.5BB, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (7.5BB, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">Button bets</font>, Hero...?

[/ QUOTE ]

standard flop c-bet, check/fold turn, you don't have the odds to draw to your hand. You're probably up against AQo, A7s, KQ, JJ.