Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-31-2007, 10:58 AM

Default bwana\'s get unfat log

I began working out a little over a month ago and have made some slow and steady progress during that time. I figured I’d document what I’m doing along the way and get some feedback as well.

Last week I mentioned in a thread that I tweaked my back at the gym. I stopped working out and it got progressively worse. I finally went to the doctor, got some muscle relaxers and am on the mend. I’ll probably go the gym again this weekend after two weeks off and start lifting again but won’t specifically workout my back for another few weeks.

Goal: Drop more chub. When I started my workout routine last month I was around 202. I’m now down to 197. My goal is to get to 185lb. I am 6’2”. If I get cut along the way to dropping weight, great but really I just want to have a smaller waist. I think I'm what is considered skinny-fat - tall, thin frame and I carry my extra weight in the midsection.

Program: I’m on the Starting Strength bandwagon and am working out 3-4 times per week. I’ll post the workout with weights in a future post.

Strengths:
Motivated. During the month+ I lifted I liked the progress I made. The quick change to my body was noticeable, I felt much better during the day and slept better at night. Unfortunately from my back injury taking about 2 weeks off, I’m seeing the muscle disappear although I’ve kept the weight off I lost.

Diet. I eat pretty well and love my fruits and veggies. I will post my daily diet in a following post so everyone can rip it apart.

Convenience. I live 3 miles from work and the gym is in between work and home. Right next to the gym is a grocery store so after I workout I go load up on fresh fruit.

Weaknesses:
Family time. I have a young son which severly cuts into the schedule. I do my usual nightly routine with him and get him to bed. Then I sneak off to the gym at night and get a good workout in. Not being able to workout right after work and holding off and doing it later in the night hasn’t been too big of an issue—plus the gym is less crowded.

Back problem. I’m going to take it slow on my back. I was having trouble standing up and I couldn’t carry my son around. I injured it doing squats which I love doing. I changed my form that day and went lower than I ever had which is probably how I injured myself. Once fixed I’ll crank the weight waaaay down until I’m more comfortable with it.

Beer. I love me some Red Hook which even by beer standards is heavy on calories. I found when I’m lifting I don’t have much downtime in my schedule and I don’t want to wreck the progress I’m making so I have cut back. The last month I’ve drank once per week and had Miller Lite.