Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2007, 07:14 AM

Default playing a \"high\" hand with omaha h/l

Is it wise to, when there is a large pf raise and 2 callers limp in with a strong high hand like AKQJ suited? I don't see many players doing it but maybe because it's...not very wise...
PS: I'm a beginner
Old 10-03-2007, 07:22 AM

Default Re: playing a \"high\" hand with omaha h/l

I guess you are referring to pot limit omaha hi-lo games. Yes, you can often play them profitably especially when stacks are deep, when there are rich implied odds and players are weak/loose.

It's, of course, an entirely different case in no limit omaha hi-lo if the villains are making huge overbets preflop for half of their starting stacks. You'll need to tighten up very much against them.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:20 AM

NoblesseOblige - Various other individuals who post here know how to play pot-limit much better than I do. That includes BlueBear, who has already answered. I'll just mention two cogent points.<ul type="square">1. You give up the low. And when you have a hand with one ace and three other cards, low gets there 65% of the time, almost two times out of three - and if you happen to catch an ace on the flop, low gets there more often than that.

2. You miss a good or fair fit with the flop about three times out of four (making a bust, or only one pair).[/list]If you can make that work for you against your opponents when there is a large pre-flop raise, then go for it.

Buzz
Old 10-03-2007, 08:49 AM

Some theoretical rather than practical playing points.

If you're up against 2 tight players, going for Lo, then actually you'll have a pot equity advantage.

But, you're not All In pre-flop, so you need to catch a Hi or mainly Hi flop, and then have a way of getting paid.

The weaker your opponents are, the more they call on no-hopers post-flop, the better 'loose' pre-flop calls will look, so long as you don't start chasing for 1/2 the pot in shorthanded pot. The cheaper you can see the flop, the better against post-flop calling stations.

If opponents are weak-tight, then may be you can call, not get paid so well on good flops, but bluff them out the pot often enough in position.

As my play is Dominated by ludicrous calls, I rarely could practise such tactics. Good luck and I hope it works for you.