Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2007, 11:37 AM

Default Early gamble in WSOP???

WSOP event 45 – 6-Handed NLHE
I am basically a break-even amateur that won his way into the WSOP. I have potential, but my game is definitely a work in progress. I’ve played large MTT tournaments online with some limited success but live I have mostly played 2-table tourney or cash game only. This event was a lot of fun for me and a great learning experience. I came away with several hands that I feel I could have improved on and wanted to post a few for feedback. Here is the first one:

100/200 with a quarter ante. Table is mostly TAG (its still early) with one LAG player who has managed to give away most of his chips and is the short stack with 2200. I have about 9500 OTB after misplaying a hand 2 orbits earlier (more on that later). The SB has about 11K the BB has about 15K. UTG folds, Shorty moves all in for 2200, CO folds to me. I haven’t seen a premium hand from the short stack so far & he called my AQ all the way to the river with 2 aces on board earlier with KJo, so I feel he really could have ATC. I look down at 6c6s. What is your play?
Old 07-02-2007, 11:48 AM

Default Re: Early gamble in WSOP???

Hmm, I think ATC is a bit of a stretch, barring A5-A2, and 22-55 he's probably got at least two overs so pretty much best case scenario you are 55-45. With the blinds in the pot as well this indicates a call, BUT...

There is a chance he has a higher pair which means you are screwed, if your read is right its probably only a small chance, but still.

Also, unless you go all in to isolate, which seems a little extreme at this stage of the tourney, theres a chance you could be in the hand with one or both of the buttons, playing for 25% of your stack with a marginal hand...

I'd say fold and wait for a bigger hand. Maybe I'm too tight, but based on your description I'd be looking for AJ+ 99+ to be in on this hand.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:48 AM

I'd fold. I don't think 66 plays that well against what I would consider his range.

However, according to your read, he could have ATC. If that really is true. If you really really believe he could have ATC, then you should call and it isn't close.

I have doubts that he is shoving 23o however.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:21 PM

Thanks for the quick responses. Hypothetical for Jammy & others. Now my cards are AJ+, 99+. What is the play? Raise all-in to isolate, min. raise, flat call? Its early, I don't really want to risk it all if I don't have to, but I don't want a multi-way pot either. Flat call gives the blinds 2 to 1.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the quick responses. Hypothetical for Jammy & others. Now my cards are AJ+, 99+. What is the play? Raise all-in to isolate, min. raise, flat call? Its early, I don't really want to risk it all if I don't have to, but I don't want a multi-way pot either. Flat call gives the blinds 2 to 1.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want to try to take advantage of what you consider to be the short stack's desperate shove, I think that you also need to shove to isolate.

How good a hand you need, when you are not desperate for chips yourself probably comes down to personal preference.

I would prefer to only do this with a premium pocket pair at this stage, AA-QQ. My goodness, I can be uber tight at times ! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-02-2007, 02:16 PM

FOLD. i agree that you want to be with 99+ or AJ+ here to play, plus you need to push here to isolate, which is dangerous with a hand as weak as 66, definite fold.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:46 AM

I think tight is good. Especially early, which doesn't explain why I called this with my small pocket pair. Luckily, the BB made a compelling argument for folding when he went all in over the top of both of us (SB called too) with his pocket aces. Sometimes ALMOST getting hit by the bus leaves a bigger mark than actually getting hit. Someday, I'll figure this game out. Thanks again.