Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2007, 04:06 PM

Default Value raising river

I am noticing (at least online) that people don't valuebet or value raise very well in MTTs. But I'm thinking that they are not too far from correct, because it is probably lower variance to avoid things like putting in your last 30bb as a value raise when you don't have a nut type hand. Now, this hand is the opposite, because I have the nuts. But what is a good river raise. If you have a non-nut flush (say T high, is river a raise/fold or just call).

3000 stacks, and 20/40 blinds, very early so no reads. Folded to me on button and I open to 120 with AJdd.

Flop is J73 rainbow, and I decide to check in position vs SB. I usually bet here, but I tend to check strong hands on flops more often when I'm in late position since my range is wider there, and so I check strong hands to protect myself. Anyways, turn is 5 diamond, so i now have a flush draw. Villain donks 80 into 280, and I call (pretty standard to call here I think). River is a diamond, and villain bets 400. I have about 2400 behind. Cash game I pretty much always shove here with anything that I'm raising with. Maybe a minraise, but nothing inbetween. But I'm thinking that 1k or so might be better.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:11 PM

Default Re: Value raising river

Raise that turn. I think just calling is terrible.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise that turn. I think just calling is terrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

why? doesn't he 3-bet everything I beat, and get away from bluffs? i figure i can also get value from 1 pair on the river.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:36 PM

dude you are thinking way too hard for a donkament. people peel so wide and are so awful just value town all 3 streets. forget metagame and balance and everything else until it becomes meaningful again(which it might never be in a tournament). i agree a turn raise after flop check is good because he bet real small and ur hand looks weak, and he is probably not a good hand reader/poker player. i make a smaller than shove raise here in a vacuum in a tournament, but of course there are things that can change that. i'm thinking something like 1050 right now.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am noticing (at least online) that people don't valuebet or value raise very well in MTTs. But I'm thinking that they are not too far from correct, because it is probably lower variance to avoid things like putting in your last 30bb as a value raise when you don't have a nut type hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a bad way to think. Just pretend cEV = EV except in the spots where it's really really obvious that it's not (4-handed and one guy has 1 BB and another has 100 BBs and you have 10 BBs).
Old 07-05-2007, 05:23 PM

Isura,
Read Luckychewy's post over and over. Merging and balancing are pretty irrelevant in tournament poker because you get so few hands with the same people. Bet the flop. As played I think you need to raise the turn, but a call isn't that bad. I would probably pot or come close to it on river.
Old 07-05-2007, 06:17 PM

He bet 400 into 450? Make it like 1500.
Old 07-05-2007, 06:51 PM

not betting the flop is terrible since people will stack off with a worse jack all the time here on the flop, but less so on the turn. i dont see any reason not to raise the turn. river id prolly shove i guess since u took such a wierd line