Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2007, 04:53 PM

Default How to combat the short stack ninjas?

Finding more and more tables at .10/.25 NL with guys buying in for less than even the $15 (let alone a full $25 buyin). I feel like these donks create a situation that demands adjustment of play. (eg less preflop raising with broadway cards, etc)

What adjustments to other micro NL players make to short-stackers like this? Or do you just play your usual game?
Old 04-24-2007, 05:34 PM

Default Re: How to combat the short stack ninjas?

Call more.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
eg less preflop raising with broadway cards

[/ QUOTE ]
Um you should raise more often with broadway cards - less reverse implied odds. You should be raising less with suited connectors and lower pp's.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:49 PM

I've made the following adjustments and had mild success:

1) against average to deep stacks i would bet out with flopped monsters hoping to get raised, but against short stacks i tend to check to them hoping that they commit themselves.

2) the kind of hands that stack shorties are tptk type of hands vs. tp medium kicker. the type of hands that usually stack deep stacks are flopped sets vs. overpairs and big draws that come in. so, against all shorties, i play less tricky hole cards.

3) shorties often seem to have an "all-in or fold" mentality. this helps to achieve #1 above, but being check raised all in hurts the c-betting.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:55 PM

c-bet less often .. call more shoves .. dont think about kicker and such things. Just get it in with every TP.

after playing a while you'll fairly good know how to beat them. I didnt like them some month ago.. but today I dont really care about them [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-24-2007, 06:06 PM

You need to exploit the fact that they are playing short. It is very easy to put them to a decision for all their chips, spots where it is really tough for them to continue without a big hand.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:08 PM

Rule No 1: Assume you play NL $25 and there's a Shorty at the table with a stack below $10. If you have JJ+, forget about betting patterns. Raise to something close to half the stack of that Shorty! This seems to be ridiculous, but just do it! It's even better if the Shorty already has limped. If he pushs, call. You will be surprised how many calls you will earn from Shorties. They like to gamble!

Rule No 2: Assume you have JJ+ or AK in the blinds, several people limped and a Shorty on the BTN or SB threw in a huge raise. Push your hand! Forget about betting patterns!

Rule No 3: If there's more than 1 Shorty at your table, the importance of rule no 1 will increase dramatically!
Old 04-24-2007, 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You need to exploit the fact that they are playing short. It is very easy to put them to a decision for all their chips, spots where it is really tough for them to continue without a big hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with this. If a shorty catches any piece of the flop .. it's all going to go in. There could be four to a flush . . four to a straight .. it doesn't matter. Bottom pair is good enough for shorties.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:15 PM

I usually wait for a good hand where I'd feel confident enough to go all-in with it, and it usually works. No need to play marginal hands vs them because they'll usually go all-in with any top pair/random 2 pair/draw and it's often a tough call when you have an iffy hand.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with this. If a shorty catches any piece of the flop .. it's all going to go in. There could be four to a flush . . four to a straight .. it doesn't matter. Bottom pair is good enough for shorties.

[/ QUOTE ]
And why is this a bad thing? I want them moving in with junk.