Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2007, 12:43 PM

Default Best Sports Memorbilia You Got From A Game?

Last fall I was at a Brewers vs Astros game and a fly ball landed in my hat but bounced off my hand underneath and into the row behind me where another person got it. I don't know if I've ever been so excited and disappointed at one time.

Players throw/hit balls and some memorabilia into the stands during games, what is the best item you've gotten?
Old 02-25-2007, 01:12 PM

Default Re: Best Sports Memorbilia You Got From A Game?

When i first moved to NYC the very first yankee game i went to was the david cone perfect game. They were giving out yogi berra day pins that had the date. I ended up buying 5 programs for $5 each and as soon as i walked out of the stadium this guy runs up to me and asks me if he could buy one for $20...

went into the stadium as a dodger fan...left a yankee fan!
Old 02-25-2007, 02:09 PM

When I was a kid I went to the 1994 AAA championship series. Indianapolis clinched the series and I stormed the field and got a ball from one of the players. As far as I'm concerned, they were world champs since MLB was on strike.

The one that got away will always be an IU - Purdue football game. I sold program before the game to get an endzone ticket.

[ QUOTE ]
When Purdue kicker Joe O'Leary's 35-yard attempt with 28 seconds to go missed to the right, Indiana escaped with a 24-22 victory that sent the Hoosiers to the Copper Bowl and a Dec. 31 date with Baylor.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was in standing room only behind the endzone and the FG missed the net. The crowd surged around me. I was in 7th grade and was small compared to the college kids around me but it came right to me and I fielded it on the fly perfectly. I immediately started towards the exit but I only got about 3 feet before a bunch off [censored] frat boys started try to rip the ball away from me. Some of them were trying to strip the ball from me and some of them were just punching me in the ribs to try and make me let go. I dropped to my knees and went turtle mode and got dragged around for awhile but I just didn't have any chance at fending off 5 guys that were all 10 years older than me.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:06 PM

I've been to 50+ MLB games in my life and a foul ball/home run has seriously never come within like 10 rows of me [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 02-25-2007, 03:14 PM

If you go early and watch BP, you are going to get a ball if you want one.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
as soon as i walked out of the stadium this guy runs up to me and asks me if he could buy one for $20...

[/ QUOTE ]

This man had just committed a brutal rape and murder and was looking for an alibi. Congratulations on giving him one you sick [censored].
Old 02-25-2007, 04:52 PM

Gary Player's golf ball. A minor league ball after getting to play catch on the field with Clarkmeisters favorite manager. Gotta love minor leagues that let kids on the field. A foul ball at Wrigley. The problem with that is I didn't catch it, but someone with us got it and gave it to the kid in the group - me. A puck from the selection tournament of the '80 Olympic team. Saved the sheets liting the players and only recently got it framed, glad I did. The only sports memorabilia I like at all is something you get yourself. I don't get all the stuff that they sell, but that is just me. A dirty old minor league ball is worth keeping to me, buying something autographed I don't understand.
Old 02-25-2007, 05:00 PM

A.C. Green's headband, when he was with the Lakers he threw it into the crowd, I snagged it.

Later that year, also at the Forum, we are sitting in the stands and I notice that Magic Johnson is sitting down by the court. As we leave the arena, there is still a notebook and pad of paper on that seat, with a Lakers insignia on the front.

Of course, I snag it and keep walking without missing a beat.
It was full of notes from Magic, a game program and other cool stuff.

I have it still today, I know I stole it but it's cool.
Old 02-25-2007, 05:12 PM

I have the home run ball hit by Brian Jordan in the top of the 9th inning against Pittsburgh in the division clinching game in 1996.
Old 02-25-2007, 05:39 PM

This is one of my favorite stories and memories.

Back in 1992 I think, my dad got us tickets in the front row next to the Rangers bullpen in the Kingdome on the day Nolan was pitching. We got there early of course, and had a front row view of Nolan warming up. I can still remember the unique zip on the ball, and the loud pop noise the catcher's mitt made.

Anyway, there were tons of people all surrounding the railing, and once Nolan was done warming up people pretty much took off and went back to their seats.

About 10 minutes later, one of the Rangers pitchers came over (I think his name was Greg McMurray?) to our seats and said "hey, here's the ball that Nolan just warmed up with." I of course was decked out in my Rangers Starter jacket and hat.

So he takes the ball and tosses it......right to my brother.

I was devastated at the time, and when we got home I finally was able to trade pretty much all of my Fred McGriff cards to acquire it. Certainly a highlight piece of memorabelia for me. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]