Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2007, 11:17 PM

Default Limit books

In todays micro/small stakes limit holdem games, how relevant are books like SSHE by ed miller? I have read through it and have not found games as described. Some of the postflop plays seem to not work as well anymore. I also have Holdem Poker which I liked but the hand groupings seem to contradict SSHE, which one should I follow?

Also, I am thinking of ordering the Stox book and HPfAP, once I get some more playing experience in. Out of those two which would be better for the .50/1-1/2 6max online player and 3-6 live player?
Old 08-08-2007, 11:30 PM

Default Re: Limit books

SSHE is still the best resource for micro limit games. I haven't finished the Stox book just yet (so much reading to catch up on, esp with LHE), but I've read enough to be sure you'll still find SSHE more useful at those limits.

I don't really see a need for HPFAP right at the moment.

You might want to consider Ed Miller's DVD set, which is more expensive of course.

Of course there's the micro LHE forum here also...
Old 08-09-2007, 12:09 AM

sshe is still find till u reach 1/2 on pokerstars .
i think(.25c/.50c its still ok on pokerstars for my part)at .50c/1$ it start to be a mix(50/50% of table) of SSHE and HPFAP.
at 1$ and up its more toward HPFAP then SSHE as i see it !
Old 08-09-2007, 12:24 AM

So if Im going to mainly be playing .50/1-1/2 6max online I should concentrate more on HPFAP? If so at what point would the Stox book come into play? Thanks for the quick replies!
Old 08-09-2007, 12:29 AM

Read TOP first. Then read SSHE and Stox's book. Then read TOP again to merge SSHE and Stox's concepts together to develop a 6 max game. Stox's book is excellent for 6 max but more towards tougher games. The .5/1 through 3/6 games wont be tough like the higher limit games.

SSHE will help with 6 max but Stox will help refine your skills, especially with blind battles and blind stealing.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:51 AM

wada ,im maybe dumb but..i did it....my first poker book was top and trust me...today now that i know,i wish i had red sshe firstthen top or stox doesnt matter but sshe first for sure...

too much stuff on top thats seem really easy but when u think about it its really deep....too deep to get full grasp of it until u have some food to chew on!!

i would even say with all i know(wich of course isnt that great but still not near nothing as well),i would say ITH first no question ask then SSHE then top or w/e book like TPFAP,
Old 08-09-2007, 12:58 AM

TOP is a hard read. Its not written well. I had to read it about 7 times to really understand the deeper concepts. Maybe I should have said read TOP several times, then SSHE, Stox, then TOP again. Eventually all this stuff starts merging and the "ah ha!" comes out the more and more you read these books. I still keep picking up something new or reminding me of old concepts that got lost in the pile.

A lot of times I have noticed that a concept in one book does not click until I read the same concept in another book. Read SSHE and then read NLTAP and the concepts and explanations in NLTAP all of sudden make some of the concepts in SSHE a lot clearer, even though NL is about no limit and SSHE about limit. Its really weird how that works for me.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:06 AM

nah it s fine...and i agree.

but really top first=yeah much more time then 1...

but i just feel u learn so much trough ITH and SSHE and so much easier then TOP.
i think TOP is great as third book for those reasons:
1.by reading top u do some revisions of other book concept.
2.the new concepts u learn ure ready for them since u read the prerequisite in the other 2 books.
3.after the first read,the second read should be a lot more easier and u migth learn a lot more there.

like i said i read top first and man wow..way too hard

i read math and chess book much easier..
Old 08-09-2007, 01:15 AM

When I played FL, I read a few limit books, but not TOP. What are the concepts that TOP has but other books, like WTO doesn't have (explained better)? Specify them and I will read them some day even if I don't plan to play FL in the near future. Chapters or page numbers.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:24 AM

HPFAP and Weighing the Odds are both books that should be read. Actually, you could probably read only one of them and be ok and Weighing the Odds is probably better.

To say HPFAP no longer applies is a bit silly.

To say that SSHE no longer applies is also silly.

TOP is fundamental stuff. Esentially all limit books written are just applications of TOP. They give you applications of material in TOP but it is the book.

All of these threads are similar. There is no one recipe that will win you all the moneys. You have to create an understanding of the game so that you can recognize concepts that apply to the situation you are faced with in the moment at hand. Concepts from HPFAP, SSHE, WTO, TOP and STOX will all apply and various moments.

Inside the poker mind dosen't get nearly the love that it should get in these threads. It's a phenomenal work.