Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2007, 02:09 PM

Default Wasted, dealt from the wrong deck, bluffed out opponent

Home tournament with two decks, red and blue, small blind always gets a deck to shuffle to be ready to deal when he is the blind.

I in the SB, and I am shuffling the red deck. I am dealt A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], and it folds to the button, who calls. I raise, BB folds, button calls. Blinds are large as tournament is at the end stages.

This is where I screw up. Wasted, and I deal the flop from the red deck. The button, who should be dealing, checks on a KJx-rainbow flop. I bet 2/3 of the pot. Button calls, and I again deal the turn from the wrong deck, the turn is a brick, button checks, and I bet 1/2 the pot.

Button thinks for a long time and then folds. I muck behind, and then the table realizes what happens. I say that button had as much responsibility as I did to figure out what was going on in the hand, and his fold gives me the pot. Everyone gets hissy, and I say BB folded before any mistake was made, so he is definitely out of the pot. Then I say, since button threw his cards in the muck, his hand is dead. Cry, cry and more cry, and since it's supposed to be a friendly game, I agree to chop the pot with the whiny button, even though that pot gives me a lock on getting to heads up, and pretty much makes me a favorite to win the tournament.

These guys don't know so much about poker, and I guess for political reasons splitting the pot may have been the best play, but was I right? Should the pot have been mine?
Old 04-27-2007, 02:17 PM

Default Re: Wasted, dealt from the wrong deck, bluffed out opponent

[ QUOTE ]
These guys don't know so much about poker, and I guess for political reasons splitting the pot may have been the best play, but was I right? Should the pot have been mine?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dead hands and start over. I mean really, mixing two decks together and you still think it's a legit hand?
Old 04-27-2007, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dead hands and start over. I mean really, mixing two decks together and you still think it's a legit hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

Big Blind folded before any mistake was made, I don't see how you can start over.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Big Blind folded before any mistake was made, I don't see how you can start over.

[/ QUOTE ]

You played the hand with Button with 2 decks. Dead Hand. Start over.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:54 PM

As usual, Roberts rules has a rule covering the situation, and in this case you are incorrect.

[ QUOTE ]
3. If a card with a different color back appears during a hand, all action is void and all chips in the pot are returned to the respective bettors. If a card with a different color back is discovered in the stub, all action stands.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-27-2007, 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As usual, Roberts rules has a rule covering the situation, and in this case you are incorrect.

[ QUOTE ]
3. If a card with a different color back appears during a hand, all action is void and all chips in the pot are returned to the respective bettors. If a card with a different color back is discovered in the stub, all action stands.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw that rule too, thanks. My question is, when you fold, isn't your hand dead? Can you still bitch about stuff when your hand is dead? Aren't you out of the hand?

The rule isn't really on point because it deals with a tainted deck. There was no tainted deck here, button had the deck and could have realized the action was screwed and asked for the void/misdeal then and there. Instead he folds.

<u>edit</u>-i don't disagree that the hand would be void if caught while that hand is still in play, btw. I just thought the fold ended that, I mean what if this wasn't realized until after I swept the chips up, or what if it somehow stayed under the radar longer? That's what I'm really asking I guess.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I saw that rule too, thanks. My question is, when you fold, isn't your hand dead? Can you still bitch about stuff when your hand is dead? Aren't you out of the hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

He folded and you mucked and then the table realized that YOU had been dealing out of turn and from the wrong deck while the button had started the deal from the right deck. You have as much fault as the button so you shouldn't be awarded the pot either.
Old 04-28-2007, 06:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The rule isn't really on point because it deals with a tainted deck. There was no tainted deck here, button had the deck and could have realized the action was screwed and asked for the void/misdeal then and there. Instead he folds.

<u>edit</u>-i don't disagree that the hand would be void if caught while that hand is still in play, btw. I just thought the fold ended that, I mean what if this wasn't realized until after I swept the chips up, or what if it somehow stayed under the radar longer? That's what I'm really asking I guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

Action on previous hands always stands. Current hand would be dead, and all chips returned. Also, you get an unending series of KITNs for even thinking of doing anything other than pointing out the error and protecting the integrity of your game.
Old 04-29-2007, 02:12 AM

so you can bluff shove and if he calls say wait void hand wrong deck but if he mucks his hand is dead so you get the pot??
Old 04-29-2007, 02:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
so you can bluff shove and if he calls say wait void hand wrong deck but if he mucks his hand is dead so you get the pot??

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why they call them angle shots.

Similar thing happened in a game a few weeks ago. In this game, two of us tend to alternate deals. AK big stack vs AJ small stack all-in preflop. Unimproved, best hand won. I noticed it after I was collecting the board and the muck. At this point both decks were unrepairable, and I figured best hand won, it was a small amount of money, easiest just to move on, nothing to see here.