Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2006, 12:58 AM

Default $11: QQ, A hits on the flop...then on the turn too..

Villain had just busted a guy the previous hand when he sucked out on the turn and made a better two pair with ATo. The busto guy had pushed on the flop, and villain called with TP/ten kicker.

PartyPoker $11 Speed Tournament, Big Blind is t60 (9 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t1770)
UTG+1 (t3285)
MP1 (t1940)
MP2 (t2120)
Hero (t1940)
CO (t5385)
Button (t1225)
SB (t340)
BB (t1995)

Preflop: Hero is in MP3 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, <font color="gray">UTG+1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP2 folds</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to t180</font>, CO calls t180, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>, <font color="gray">BB folds</font>

Flop: (t450) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">CO bets t100</font>, Hero calls t100

Turn: (t650) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 players)
<font color="red">Hero bets t400</font>, CO calls t400

River: (t1450) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">CO bets t1239</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to t1260 (All-in)</font>, CO calls t21

When the 2nd Ace came on the turn I figured that it was less likely that he had an ace, and I interpreted his river bet as a steal attempt. I appreciate comments on all streets here!!!!
Old 07-18-2006, 02:20 AM

Default Re: $11: QQ, A hits on the flop...then on the turn too..

I have trouble in these sorts of situations, but I would have led for 300 on the flop. At the $11s there are a bunch of hands (KQ, QT, QJ, KJ small-mid pocket pairs) that would call the 3x BB PF raise at 30/60 blinds and fold to a flop c-bet when the ace flops.

Villain is unlikely to call (or raise) without an ace or better, I think betting the flop is a cheaper way to get information than check/calling and leading the turn.

Not sure about other streets, I'll let the experts opine, but I think I fold the river. Villain's check/minbet, call of your turn bet then put you AI on the river looks like either an A or a flopped set to me.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:54 AM

Check the turn and fold the river, that looks like a VALUE BET to me rather than a steal attempt. Granted I've seen goofball bluffs in spots like that from time to time, that is usually 3 aces or better.

As for a c-bet on flop, looks like a "better hands will call/raise, worse hands will fold" sort of spot.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As for a c-bet on flop, looks like a "better hands will call/raise, worse hands will fold" sort of spot.

[/ QUOTE ]
Isn't that what you want, to find out as cheaply as possible whether Villain has a hand that beats you so you can GTFO?
Old 07-18-2006, 03:29 AM

I guess that would be better than what happened in this hand.