Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2007, 08:53 PM

Default Ebro Report and theory question

Not sure where to post this, but it is a B&M report.

So, I went to the Ebro Dogtrack last night (15 minutes north of Panama City). It's the most northern/western poker room in florida (panhandle).

I was a little in awe of how many tables were available and going on.

It was a Tuesday night.

I think I counted about 20-23 tables going at the time (9pm).
It seems like there were another 7 or so not going (30 total I think). The numbers aren't exact but it was a lot of poker players.

For the most part there were 2 games:

1. $1/2 No limit (max buy-in $100)
2. $1-5 Limit (blinds $1/2 max bet anytime $5)
there wasn't omaha that night (there were a couple $2/4)

Only had about 2 hours and decided to just be conservative and play the Limit game (haven't played live in a long time and I was tired ((on vacation but REALLY wanted to play))

Crazy soft games. Just really bad playing for the most part.

It really comes down to the fundamental leak (I think) in average poker players games:I know I'm beat, there's no doubt, I call...

Happened so many times. They just hated the idea of the bad beat and almost seemed to live for that "can't believe I lost to that" thing.

In about 2 hours, I never saw someone bet on the river that didn't have at least what you thought he had. Never. And yet people kept calling down with mid-pair.

Good place to play.

I was up 50 bucks in the first hour and 15 minutes (good cards and had a pretty good idea of how to play the people). I ended up 6 bucks (stupidly tried to bluff the 'old man' at the table who only calls with hands and then the following:

Ok..my interesting theory question.

I've got pocket 9s and decide to call the $2 and see the flop (figured if I hit my set it would go well). I should have just stuck with ABC and raised.

5 players ($10)
Flop K92 all spades.

It comes to me I bet $5.
Lady next to me raises 5 everyone else folds.
She looks at me and nods, basically saying "Yep, I've got it."

In these low-limit games it's happened everytime I've played that the neighbors try to save each other money and she has done this a couple of times to me and guy in between us "the us versus them" mentality.

I call the flop raise (call $5 for $25 in there).

On the turn, she verbally says, "It's already made." and I actually know that she's telling the truth.

Turn board doesn't pair and not another spade.

She bets $5 (I have to call $5 for $35)
I figure that I have to pair something to win (11 outs..22-23%?)
I call and the board doesn't pair and she wins.

So..when you're in that situation and you know (she did not lie once to the 2 of us next to her all night), do you go ahead and go with the math? I feel like that's a rhetorical. I knew she had the flush and knew I had a 32%ish on flop and 22-23% on turn. Is it just sklansky? Make the right decision? (of all forums to type this on, I know)

I felt like it was the dead on right decision to call. River blanked. I checked and she checked (she did that many times..not bother putting more money out there) and showed the flush.

I've just not been in a live cash game situation where my opponent told me what they had and I 100% believed her before.

Sorry for rhetorical, just interesting hand for me. Not used to it.

On her part, Yes..horrible -ev to play that way, but I think that's the normal low-limit player's mentality.

E
Old 07-18-2007, 10:20 PM

Default Re: Ebro Report and theory question

Yeah, its just math.

On the flop you have 7 outs, but you can give yourself one "more" for the outs you will pick up on the turn. Odds say call. (Note that without the "additional" outs, or with zero implied odds, this is actually a fold. Alternativly, you could figure using call $10 (flop and turn bets) to win $30 (pot + her turn bet) to hit on the next two streets). And turn is a clear call.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:45 AM

Thanks Kurt. It's one of those things where it makes sense in the middle of it, but then you start thinking about it.

I just am not used to them telling me they have the flush. I know others were wondering why I was calling knowing she had the flush. (why would I call when I know I'm beat..kind of typical low limit thinking).

I felt like according to sklansky, it would be a mistake to fold.

It's fun to play there and I think for a solid ABC player, he could do pretty well even at the $1-5 limit game. The 4 bb an hour thing almost seems right there. 2-3 sure. 4, I think probably with pretty straight ahead poker. It's amazing how straight forward low limit poker play is.

Never once when I check raised or did some sort of a large bet did anyone ever look at me at all. They just sat and stared at the flop and then threw their money in.

Thanks Kurt.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:12 AM

bump for people mover question
Old 08-02-2007, 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not sure where to post this, but it is a B&M report.

[/ QUOTE ]

For future reference the question part should be in a separate thread, probably in the low limit strategy forum. Thanks.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:28 PM

Thanks for the review - I'll hopefully check it out this weekend if I have to travel up there. I'll be the kid with all the chips [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-02-2007, 02:50 PM

I haven't been by the Ebro room yet but might get up there sometime soon just to get some live-play in.
Only moved to Panama City about a week ago and am still unpacking.

4BB/hr at limit would be pretty optimistic even with REALLY terrible players because of rake and slow-ish dealing of hands (you made no mention of the rake, but I'm assuming it's pretty lousy at the 1-5 spread game).

Saw a TV commercial for the Ebro room the other day. They are definitely trying to push this aspect of the greyhound track. The commercial was all about the poker-room and made no mention of all about betting on dogs or horses or whatever else they let you bet on.

My Dad over in Destin has some drinking buddies who make occasional trips to Ebro for the track-betting as well as a little poker.
Destin is probably an hour or so away but Ebro is the closest thing for them too.

On the TV commercial the room looked surprisingly nice and also crowded enough from the shots they had in the commercial.
I believe the floridacardplayer.com site said they had 21 tables but that might not be updated. They could have added a few tables if it's been crowded enough combined with recently getting the slightly less-sucky stakes.