Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2007, 11:05 PM

Default AK squeezed preflop.

Party Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.25/$0.50 Blinds - 5 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

SB: $129.85
BB: $11.69
UTG: $44.05
<font color="black">Hero (CO): $96.05</font>
BTN: $48.50

<font color="black">Reads: </font><font color="blue">shortstack is unknown - Deep stacked villain is 25/20/8</font>

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> Hero is dealt A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (5 Players)
UTG folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $2.00</font>, BTN folds, SB calls $1.75, <font color="red">BB raises all-in to $11.69</font>, Hero ???

er now what?

and why?
Old 05-25-2007, 11:35 PM

Default Re: AK squeezed preflop.

You gotta fold here I would think. First what is the sb going to do? If he called the initial raise he's got something playable. The only hands you're really beating here are AQ and AJ and maybe AT. In a tourney, call. But on a cash table the only hands that are going to make these raises(bb) or calls (sb) will be AA KK or QQ maybe JJ, so now your flipping coins at best even against 99 and TT. Do you really want to donk off the 46.05 you made playing smart intelligent poker by flipping a coin. let him have the 2.00 bucks.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:40 PM

Push. SB is assuredly folding and BB has garbage
Old 05-25-2007, 11:48 PM

Really? What if you call the 11.69 and then the sb makes it 30.00 then what? or you push and make it 25.00 and the sb goes all in, then what? sb has a nice stack, that shows me he either knows how to play a little poker or is just better than the average bear. In either case getting squeezed between the short stack and whatever sb may have is not where I'd want to be. I think pushing here is really overplaying AK. I think everyone would "like" to push here, but in reality, I think it's not too smart.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:48 PM

Does villian defend blinds alot? Is he tricky? Being that he's 25/20/8 I assume he's not cold calling from the sb with AA or KK I would imagine he's 3betting anything that has you dominated so even if you did get it all in I would feel you're at worst a flip. So I would reraise to about $40 killing any implied odds and isolating the bb which you likely have dominated.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Really? What if you call the 11.69 and then the sb makes it 30.00 then what?

[/ QUOTE ]

Calling is bad precisely because of this situation. Your hand has huge FE by shoving and is at worst a coin flip with dead money in the pot v a short stack.

[ QUOTE ]
or you push and make it 25.00 and the sb goes all in, then what?

[/ QUOTE ]

It would take a monster hand for SB to call two all-ins. He might even fold QQ in that spot, but as long as he doesn't have AA or KK, you can pretty much guarantee to be a fav v SB's range.

[ QUOTE ]
I think pushing here is really overplaying AK. I think everyone would "like" to push here, but in reality, I think it's not too smart.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why isn't it? You're giving way too much credit to a short stack push, and ANY player would need a HUGE hand to call our all in with. As long as we have SB's range dominated pretty well -- which we do -- pushing is standard.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Really? What if you call the 11.69 and then the sb makes it 30.00 then what? or you push and make it 25.00 and the sb goes all in, then what? sb has a nice stack, that shows me he either knows how to play a little poker or is just better than the average bear. In either case getting squeezed between the short stack and whatever sb may have is not where I'd want to be. I think pushing here is really overplaying AK. I think everyone would "like" to push here, but in reality, I think it's not too smart.

[/ QUOTE ]

You really think a 25/20/8 is going to get tricky from the sb? Most likely he's holding a small pp or suited connectors/gappers. He's almost never calling a strong rr/push.
Old 05-26-2007, 12:01 AM

easiest push ever. SB calls maybe like 5% of the time here. Hes got a small/mid pp or SCs like stunna says. Sure maybe and i mean maybe he has AA-QQ every once in a long while but not enough to not push here.
Old 05-26-2007, 12:16 AM

Hero minraises, lol, or shoves doesn't really matter either way

15:9 or something in there, can't be too worried about SB coming along after he cold called ur raise from CUTOFF! unless you're a complete nit like 9/7 and I doubt u r. If he had a hand it should have been 3-bet
Old 05-26-2007, 12:58 AM

Easy push.