Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2007, 04:27 PM

Default Capping Light, a movie.

The Scene: Your average Mid-Stakes 9-handed table.
The Characters: Villain is a reasonable TAG who is relatively straight-forward which is the only reason you're thinking of casting him for this role.

The Plot: Some stuff happens, You raise, Some stuff happens, Villain 3-bets, It comes back HU to you. You have a hand outside of your normal capping range.

In terms of hands, position, and other factors, under what conditions, if any, are you capping?
Old 07-16-2007, 04:50 PM

Default Re: Capping Light, a movie.

[ QUOTE ]
The Scene: Your average Mid-Stakes 9-handed table.
The Characters: Villain is a reasonable TAG who is relatively straight-forward which is the only reason you're thinking of casting him for this role.

The Plot: Some stuff happens, You raise, Some stuff happens, Villain 3-bets, It comes back HU to you. You have a hand outside of your normal capping range.

In terms of hands, position, and other factors, under what conditions, if any, are you capping?

[/ QUOTE ]

Last night a bad tilty player opened EP, I 3bet A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], two fish call 3 cold, and tilty 4-bets, I cap for value. Not sure if this is standard, but in
this and other is situations where bad players are coming in for multiple bets light I will cap AKo as well as JJ unless original raiser/4-bettor is solid. In a 4-bet cap game I cap down to TT and AQs. Dont play enough 4-bet cap to know if this is correct.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:53 PM

deleted post, since we are talking preflop and not flop.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:02 PM

Errr... I wasn't being clear. This is preflop and you have a hand outside of your normal capping range(4-bet games). Again, you don't have QQ-AA or AK.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Errr... I wasn't being clear. This is preflop and you have a hand outside of your normal capping range(4-bet games). Again, you don't have QQ-AA or AK.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you cap when you're ahead of his range and don't when you aren't then you are playing well. Messing around with the marginal hands (i.e. capping a hand that is only ahead of 40% of his range or just calling with something ahead of 60% of his range) is ok too but any advice you get on the subject is likely to be subjective, player dependent, and results oriented (we play in passive games a lot so our hu capping sample sizes aren't that big).
Old 07-16-2007, 05:59 PM

There's no cap HU around here.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:36 AM

definitely a good play sometimes if your image is tight at the moment and you think your opponent won't call you down with any piece every time. against the right person, capping with some hands is well worth the price for the equity it gives you if your opponent hasn't seen you do anything too crazy yet. also, if you get to show it down, you can value-town everyone who saw it for the rest of the session / their lives.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:59 AM

i do it a lot with hands like 66 and 87s, as there are lotsa flops that they are gonna hate once i 4bet.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:22 AM

If the TAG is someone who is weak postflop or someone who has an unusually high respect for you, I'll sometimes 4 bet outside my usual range to create a bigger pot to take away from them later. Or 4 bet so that if I hit something and know he can't fold anything, I can create a bigger pot to win at showdown. But I honestly don't meet many straightforward TAGs who 3 bet me that I would do that to very often. I guess mostly because I open so much with crap that I know putting in any extra money while being completely killed preflop will be impossible to overcome in the long run. The case in which you are playing against a very weak postflop player or someone who vastly overestimates your range is pretty much the only time I think this would be applicable.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i do it a lot with hands like 66 and 87s, as there are lotsa flops that they are gonna hate once i 4bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah totally agree. Mitch you are being to rigid about preflop to say capping light is wrong etc. The big thing for me Prof. Ben is 4 bet light in position, play snug OOP.

-DeathDonkey