Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2006, 12:58 AM

Default Deep 2/5 Live Hand vs. fslexcduck

Hi guys,

Here's a fun hand that fslexcduck and I played in the Caesar's 2/5 NL uncapped game last night. After feasting over at the Bellagio along w/ one Jason Strasser, Vanessa, Flawless Victory and I headed over to Caesar's to donk it up in their 5/10 NL uncapped game, which turned out not to be running, so we played a little 2/5 instead. Vanessa has been playing what I gather to be her customary laggro style, and she and I had been bluffing/playing back at each other a decent amount in small and medium-sized pots, but have for the most part had the goods in big pots. Oh, annnnnnnd I think it's safe to say that the three of us were a little on the drunk side . . .

Anyways, on to the hand; I have a little less than $3k left of the $5k I plopped down to start the session, while Vanessa has me way covered after making lots of full houses w/ 63o [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. I think I've got the preflop/flop action right, buuuut my recollection of the earlier streets may be slightly less than lucid, so hopefully Vanessa will chime in and correct me if I've got it mixed up.

Vanessa opens for $35 in EP (standard), I call in the CO w/ K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], one of the blinds comes along as well.

Flop is K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Checked to Vanessa, who fires $75, I call fairly quickly, heads up to the turn.

Turn is 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Vanessa shoots me a glance and bets $300. I think for a bit this time before calling.

River is the 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Vanessa pauses briefly and checks, I quickly bet $900. Just as quickly, Vanessa announces that she's all in.

I tank for quite a while, and start muttering something along the lines of, "This would be such a sick value bet if you have one pair."

Now Vanessa says, "You're thinking about calling with one pair? Oh my god, that's so sick." I look at her for a while, and she gets up from the table and starts to walk around.

"What, you check raise push the river on me and then leave the table?" I ask, smiling. She looks back and smiles wryly and continues to walk away. A short while later, she sits back down and calls a clock.

$2,650-ish in the pot, about $1,500 more for me to call.

Is this even close?

-neon.
Old 06-27-2006, 01:50 AM

Default Re: Deep 2/5 Live Hand vs. fslexcduck

Ok, sorry guys, Vanessa just pointed out to me that I messed up stack/pot sizes a little bit.

On the river, when she pushed, I had to call $1,700 more into a pot of ~$4,100.
Old 06-27-2006, 01:54 AM

neon, why did you bet the river? you obviously were not bluffing - and what worse hand were you expecting a call from?

given that you did bet the river (I would never have done so against the type of opponent you described), I would fold, but it is not that easy of a decision.
Old 06-27-2006, 01:58 AM

Location: coaching poker and writing \"Professional No-Limit Hold\'em\" for Two Plus Two Publishing with Matt Flynn and Ed Miller

neon, you guys are all in Vegas right now?.....I'm heading there Thursday - will be stayin' at the Bellag with Flynn til the following Wednesday....Cero, CCass, Felson, and others will all be around as well I think.....

EDIT: oh, and raise turn, fold river.....
Old 06-27-2006, 01:59 AM

Vanessa is crazy. I played with her before her triumphant climb to the top of the Poker world. (<3 Vanessa) I could see her doing this with a set/2 pair type hand, as well as nothing, such as 9sTs. Very tough. Have you seen her do this before on the river and if so what did she show down (if called)?
Old 06-27-2006, 02:00 AM

Forgot to Add. I played with her a while back at college, when she still had a lot to learn, so I do not know how much of this is applicable.
Old 06-27-2006, 02:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
neon, why did you bet the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

For value? I think I get looked up quite often by just about any king, and a pocket pair QQ-99 on occasion as well; I mean in theory, Vanessa's turn bet should knock a lot/most of the drawing hands I could have called the flop with out of my range, but w/ such deep stacks and position my range is still pretty huge. Not saying I'm in love with my river bet or anything, I'll get into that a bit more later.
Old 06-27-2006, 02:14 AM

hmmm, I suppose that vanessa could call you light putting you on a missed draw or something. maybe I don't hate it as much as I did at first, but I still don't really like it very much.
Old 06-27-2006, 02:24 AM

neon had been making these huge bet thin value bets a lot that night, sometimes i liked it but i told him i didn't really like it in this spot, very hard for me to call with a worse hand here IMO. 600 would have sufficed, or even less to get me to bluff raise all in, like maybe 500 or something.
Old 06-27-2006, 02:51 AM

Dude, it sucks being hung over (yes, i was still hungover late last night)....I'm so pissed i missed this.