Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2007, 02:28 AM

Default Health/illness advice needed

Heres a little background... I quit school, worked full time, recently quit work to go back to school...But my health insurance doesn't kick back in until next week, so I can't go to the doctor.

Since Tuesday, I've been feeling really sick. Headache, muscleache, stuffed up nose, nasty cough. Starting coughing up a bunch of stuff yesterday. Today I started throwing up. I haven't been sick in a long time, so I'm not really sure what to do. I've been drinking LOTS of gatorade and taking a bunch of over the counter stuff (Sudafed, Robitusim, etc), but it's not doing much good. I can't sleep for more than 2-3 hours at a time. The only movement I've done is from the couch to the CPU to the bathroom and back. I just feel like dying. Anyone have any suggestions on what I can do until next week when I can get in to see a doctor?
Old 02-17-2007, 02:32 AM

Default Re: Health/illness advice needed

webmd.com ?
Old 02-17-2007, 02:38 AM

Yea I tried it... basically they just told me to consult a healthcare professional. I was just hoping someone here has a home remedy or knows of a good over the counter drug.
Old 02-17-2007, 02:55 AM

It sounds like you have the flu. Nothing you can do except rest and drink fluids. Ibuprofen might help as well.
Old 02-17-2007, 03:57 AM

I don't have any advice. Just be sure to tell us when you get better k. Do you have anyone to take care of you? A GF or a family member? That always makes a person feel better. Last time I had the flu I was all alone and it sucked. Hang in there.
Old 02-17-2007, 04:01 AM

influenza. lasts 5-7 days and you'll lose about 10 pounds. get a flu shot next year and every year thereafter.
Old 02-17-2007, 04:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't have any advice. Just be sure to tell us when you get better k. Do you have anyone to take care of you? A GF or a family member? That always makes a person feel better. Last time I had the flu I was all alone and it sucked. Hang in there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the kind words. I live with my dad right now, but he's been out of town for a few weeks on business. If this gets worse I might go stay with my mom for awhile.
Old 02-17-2007, 04:47 AM

As backwards as this might sound, drink a few beers, lay off the medicine, eat some junk food (chinese delivery is awesome) and just be lazy for a while. Even if you had health insurance and saw a doctor, you'd likely just be given an antibiotic. By the time it took effect, this would have run its course naturally. Unless you have some unusual history of illness, just rough it out and treat it like a hangover. I'm sure this advice will get berated but this is honestly how I treat every flu/cold/etc I get, and I'm generally a very healthy person.