Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2007, 06:32 AM

Default Query on 7CSFAP statement

I may have found a way to plug one of my leaks in stud. The authors state in their discussion on 5th street that "If you are against many opponents and only have one big pair you should usually check, even if it seems like you have the best hand. This is because there is a good chance that everyone will call, and you will be a bigger dog than the number of bets that you are collecting, because of all the different combinations that can be out.".

I frequently find myself in just that position (playing 1/5/10 stud). Having a big pair, against 3 - 5 opponents. By 5th street, there is typically already some 40 - 50 dollars in a pot like this. I'll have a pair of kings or aces, against an assortment of straight draws, flush draws, and small pairs looking to make 2 pair or trips.

I've always been under the impression that the way to defend is to charge for the draws. But, the people holding these draws never fold, nor does it seem right for them to do so.

What is the correct way to play in this sort of situation? Both as a big pair holder, and as someone drawing? I'm willing to pay out $20 or so for a chance to win $50 - 80, but maybe I shouldn't be.

Or is what the book is saying only apply to higher limits, and things should be calculated differently at low limits?

Thank you.

Lee
Old 09-26-2007, 08:55 AM

Default Re: Query on 7CSFAP statement

Depends on your position and kickers. The scope of your question is just to broad for a complete answer. Give an example. You could make a case for any action, including a fold.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:20 PM

The flip side of this is that fifth street is usually your best chance to get people to fold after third street. No one folds on sixth, and people won't often fold hands that you want them to on the river.

7CS4AP is geared towards mid-limit games in which people play somewhat competently. If you're against decent opposition and a five-way pot develops, there's a pretty good chance that you're up against better hands and/or quality draws. You may be a money dog, and even if you're not, it may not be in your best interests to bloat the pot.

In a low-limit game, people will be calling with all kinds of crap. There's a much better chance that your big pair will be winning. Also, if they have really putrid hands, you may be able to convince them to fold on fifth.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:05 AM

Bet, but in a game like this make sure your big pairs are the real big pairs because crap like J4J calls for tentative play if you can't narrow the field on third. Instead, keep the pot smaller and maybe you can spring a raise with that hand that should force out the real junk hands.

Anyways, you should usually just bet fifth if the boards aren't too scary even holding just one big pair against four opponents if they are retards.

-Michael
Old 09-27-2007, 11:55 AM

Thanks for the advice. I still have a lot to learn - and need to move up in stakes as well. Building a bankroll a little at a time....

Lee