Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2007, 04:29 PM

Default Is this bad?

Villain is something like 40/10 and has limp-shoved a few times in last few orbits. My read was that he was raising like normal with the top end of his range but was limp-shoving some crap as a semibluff. I expected to see small pairs, weaker aces, as well as some random crap like KJ when he does this, in addition to stuff that dominates me like AT/AJ.

I've never made a call like this before but it felt right given the range I was assigning him. Are we happy to do this against a fish who probably leaves if someone else busts him, or do we wait for a better spot?

3/6 NL, 6 players

Hero (BB) $591.00
UTG
MP
CO $283.32
BTN
SB
Hero is dealt A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

2 folds, CO calls $6, 2 folds, Hero raises to $30, CO raises all-in $283.32, Hero calls
Old 10-30-2007, 04:43 PM

Default Re: Is this bad?

given your read then sure
Old 10-30-2007, 05:16 PM

We do not wait for better spots in cash games. So if your read is good then this is good.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:25 PM

yes
Old 10-31-2007, 12:19 AM

If he's done this SEVERAL times in a small hand sample, this seems OK if you don't mind variance. You can't be incredibly far ahead of, or behind, his range here. You also are getting nothing special in terms of odds.

If you feel like getting it in to assumably take a dead 1/2 buy in which is about to go to someone else, go right ahead.

It should be noted here that, while he could be doing this with anything, he can have several hands that dominate you, but few that you dominate. Even the dumbest of people aren't showing up OFTEN here with A3s or A6o, etc. If you are ahead, it's usually of like, KJo.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:22 AM

Just as an aside - once you saw him limp, you had to assume that there was a pretty good chance of this occuring again, so, you had to be envisioning calling when you raised, correct? Therefore, shouldn't be an incredible amount of thought here.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just as an aside - once you saw him limp, you had to assume that there was a pretty good chance of this occuring again, so, you had to be envisioning calling when you raised, correct? Therefore, shouldn't be an incredible amount of thought here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wasn't thinking that far ahead to be honest, because he was still limp-calling / limp-folding a fair amount also. I wouldn't even normally raise in this spot, but just wanted to get involved in as many raised pots as possible with this guy.

It actually ended up being a marginally correct call, but I'm wondering whether the range I'm giving this type of opponent in this spot is still too generous.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We do not wait for better spots in cash games. So if your read is good then this is good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Reads are imprecise though. That's what I thought was happening, but hard to be sure over a small sample. I meant wait for a better spot in the sense that villain is probably going to lose his stack in the next hour anyway, possibly to me. Theforefore, why take a close gamble if it relies on a good read to determine whether it is +EV or not, when we have a chance to stack him in future.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:51 PM

If you feel it's extremely close and your read isn't good enough either way to determine, you can pass it up for what would be considered a "better" (read: more certain) spot. However, part of this depends on how likely it is someone else will take the opportunity to stack him before you pickup another hand.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:07 PM

this is good.