CO (t1335)
Button (t1470)
Hero (t1290)
BB (t1625)
UTG (t1470)
UTG+1 (t3090)
MP1 (t1440)
MP2 (t1780)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t100</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t400</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls t300.

Flop: (t850) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t890 (All-In)</font>

what would the better play be here?
-flatcall preflop and save chips on a scary board.
-this play
-push preflop
-fold preflop
-another play
Old 02-25-2007, 07:17 PM

Default Re: 5$ 27player mtt.

this is fine. however all in preflop is fine as well.
Old 02-25-2007, 07:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this is fine. however all in preflop is fine as well.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-25-2007, 07:32 PM

take a deep breath and slow down. You're creating a big pot here with just JJs. The button lead with a 5x raise. In these lowlevel tourneys that can mean alot of things, He could be trying to steal with just about anything, or he could be betting straightforward with a middle/high PP, or paint. Do you have read on the Button? I know its early in the SnG, but you should know something by now. The A/I after the flop play at the 25/50 level with JJ and an overcard and flush/str8 draws is not good. you're -cEV in the long run making this kind of play. I don't like the r/r with JJs, I would have flat called and seen a flop.

As played, You reraised PF, so you have to lead out, I think a cbet of 1/3-1/2 of the pot, 350-400 should take it down if he didnt catch the Q. if not, you can still escape the hand with approx t500, which isn't alot, but its early and you have time to recover. Chip and chair.
Old 02-25-2007, 07:37 PM

button lead with 2x raise, not 5.
but holdemft you are probably correct. your post show me exactly why i post here, im very insecure in most of my plays.

when you say reads...i alwyas wondred what is a solid read really? what kind of read would make me play in another way?
Old 02-25-2007, 08:32 PM

Oh ok, 2x I was misread the blinds. By Reads I mean on what kind of player the button has been. I'm assuming at the 25/50 level you've been playing between 30-45 mins (Unless its a turbo) which means you've seen about 40 hands or so. Has the button be Loose/Tight? Passive/Aggressive? Has he been consistently raising on the button in previous orbits? Has he shown down any hands? Does it look like he value bets his good hands or has he been trappy/slowplaying?

Its easier to get these kind of reads the longer the tournament goes, but after about 40 hands, you should have general idea of how everyone at your table is playing. Its online, so all you really have are people's betting patterns and seeing what kind of hands they've shown down.

Just a couple of examples, if Button has been playing solid/ aggressive/trappy, I would wary of a 2x raise, it looks like he wants action, and may have a good hand. If he's been playing weak/tight weak/passive, a 2x raise probably means he's not very strong.

One disclaimer to note here. When playing these micro limit games, You'll see alot of weak play, people betting for the sake of betting, and in general a fair share of poker stereotypes. (ie. Maniacs, Calling Stations, Rocks). You have to adjust to each style and realize you need better hands to playing against the Rocks then you do against the Maniacs. I see more Loose/Aggressive players then Rocks though, and they are notoriously difficult to put on a hand because they seem to call and raise with just about any two cards, thinking they're Gus Hansen or Daniel Negreanu. You want to play solid hands against these players. It can be very frustrating to showdown JJ against a LAG just to see him turnover Q3o. Make a solid hand against them, and give them enough rope to hang themselves. Against the calling stations, bet for value.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:38 PM

this was well played you are trying to get some value out of a get hand if he hit a queen thats poker
Old 02-25-2007, 08:42 PM

Read the STT forum because they handle situations like 27 player tournaments better than we do.

In a typical MTT I have no problem reraising with JJ given the right table conditions (although I don't like your raise amount relative to your stack size) but in a 27 man tournament I think that this is definitely a flat call preflop in the early stages of the tournament. STTs and 27 man tournaments are a lot more conducive to small ball than larger fields, I am not expert on STTs though and you should visit their forum for better feedback
Old 02-25-2007, 08:42 PM

holdemft you are a big source of inspiration i must say..
in future tournies i will pay much closer attention to how people play.
I usually try the first 10 minutes, but when all pots are a big limping-party my eyes gets hurt from all watching so i read 2+2 instead..
Old 02-25-2007, 10:11 PM

holdemft -

[ QUOTE ]

As played, You reraised PF, so you have to lead out, I think a cbet of 1/3-1/2 of the pot, 350-400 should take it down if he didnt catch the Q. if not, you can still escape the hand with approx t500, which isn't alot, but its early and you have time to recover. Chip and chair.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is dumb as [censored]