Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2007, 01:39 PM

Default To much info is not good

I study lots of books and my play is tighter than most. I begining to think I need to loosen up pre flop because I never build up many chips but usually finish well. Lately I have been geting killed and I think its tight play. For me to go away from tight is uncomfortable. Most pros teach tight play so I try to pattern my game around that idea. Can my dicipline be killing my results?
Old 03-16-2007, 01:45 PM

Default Re: To much info is not good

Yes.

Books talk about how to play made hands. They don't teach you how to play Poker.

As Doyle says numerous times in Super System, you have to get in their and gamble. Stop raising only with raisable hands. Make those position variation raises with hands like 85s and JTo.
Old 03-16-2007, 01:54 PM

after I get poped out of a tourney and my girlfriend who knows nothing about poker says "your to tight" its like a wake up call. I not super tight I like suited connectors and ace or king suited hand in late position.
Old 03-16-2007, 01:59 PM

I can relate. I also have been trying to open up my game a bit. Particularly after taking the HoH3 test and showing that I'm too tight...BY HARRINGTON'S SCALE! I've done a good job at maintaining my bankroll, but not increasing it by a lot because I'm being to careful. This week I've tried to play more aggressively...it hasn't gone well. I put down the pedal too much and my bankroll took a hit. I'm going to focus on developing this style in tourneys because there is less real $$ at stake. We'll see how it goes. I've also just started using Poker Tracker to plug some major leaks. Good luck to you.
Old 03-16-2007, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For me to go away from tight is uncomfortable.

[/ QUOTE ]
Of course it is, you have experience playing one way and trying out a looser style is going to take you out of your comfort zone. What you can do is play at lower stakes for a while, low enough that you feel free to experiment with different styles without being bothered by the money you might lose. You will make lots of mistakes because you'll be putting yourself in unfamiliar situations with marginal hands. Just accept that you'll be making those mistakes and in the short term you probably won't be playing the looser style very well, because in the long term if you succeed in adding another gear to your game you become a better player. Also it sounds like you're bored/frustrated with the game right now, experimenting with a different style will be fun.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:44 AM

Finevol, I have tried a couple times to talk to you about this and i do know you play tight and it does cost you money if you dont learn to get paid off with well place value bets with margainel hands. try more hand combos just broden your openig raiseing range. try waiting to be insay 2 from the cut off thru to the BB pick a hand and rasie any hand rags dont look if it helps try to pick up after the flop and go with ur gut so you can strat to make harder calls with a more margliel hand.and soon you will become use to it more and become comfontable doing and it will open you help to more hands and pots if you play it right hopefully more $. While tight play is great if you want to sit for days but to make the money u ulitamely end up playing the mans actions and how he reacts to u and your imange. more and more ur cards become less and less importent and the imange your have established starts yo pay off.if you try this iam pretty sure it would help alot.reminber "you cant win if you dont put it in" ~Jay aka Turtle P.S.you may win pots and get deep but i willing to bet unless you hit a rush its rarely deep-stack. you know me you know my style and you see how often i get paid off on my big hands and its because nobody belives me but as you know iam not risking all my chips with nothing most of the time i would say its 70/30 being truth/bluff ratio but that is why when i flop a set and you flop top pair know its not that strong but you are willing to call ME with it because i could have just check rasied you with middle pair. basicly all iam saying is you need to find you comfrount level with your truth/bluff and try to switch it on and off during the game. If not its a game of you bet every one folds and all you win is the min. bro i hope this help and you read it sober peace.~Jay aka Turtle
Old 07-26-2007, 04:38 PM

well what iam trying to say is if you have BLUFF mag. for july check out page 116 and read about Neural Linguistic Programming. NLP for short basicly the NLP concept is to gain a rapport a bond with the person its what the car salesmen did to make you feel good about being ripped out. So by understanding how sight, sound, touch, and memory mold our internal reality, we can empower ourselevs and influence outhers. i hope this helps with my last post to the ? i take no criedt for the NLP i just typed what i read but i know alot of pro and semi pros have been useing table image for this reason for years it just explained in the proper way for us to understand it. peace~Jay aka Turtle