Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2006, 01:52 PM

Default MTT early push...right or wrong?

This takes some set-up.

I was on a very bad run of cards during the 30,000 Bodog, I ($2,750) hit AQ on button and called a 4X MP ($5,800, LAG) raise, BB ($3,900 LAG) re-raised, I folded to AK v. JJ. That was the only hand I played during the first hour. Table is very aggressive.

I planned on opening up after the break and on the 5th hand raise Q9 (4X) suited from button, SB calls. Not a typical play, but playing only 1 hand in the first hour, I have to figure my image is very tight. SB plays along I win a nice pot with 2 pr.

So here we go.

In the CO ($3,500), I catch AKo and raise it to 2 limps 3.5X. The BB, same guys as above, (lost a big SD [K10 v. 55] and went from $8,900 to $3,900 2 hands early) tries to push me out with a min. raise, limpers fold. Remebering the play earlier with the AQ (my fold) and the Q9 SD, he has to put me as weak and stealing... I re-raise. He pushes

I call. Right or Wrong?

As it turns out he pushed with K8s and caught a good board of 7/9/10/6/5 to felt me, but the initial call against is push?

The always wondering,
IceBergie
Old 10-25-2006, 01:57 PM

Default Re: MTT early push...right or wrong?

blinds?
Old 10-25-2006, 02:00 PM

I push after he min-raises me preflop and am very happy to see K8.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:06 PM

I also likely push after his minraise, but knowing the size of the blinds would shed more light on this situation.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:13 PM

Your image is ideal for this situation. Not sure why BB is min. raising with the intention of pushing you out. A more plausible scenario is that he thinks you have a marginal hand and is building the pot so he can immediately push any flop, especially since he's on a tilting line.

After the min. raise push all in. It would be a nice sized pot to take down without seeing any cards.

Ideally you want him AI with K8, but I think it is rare that K8 four bets AI PF.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your image is ideal for this situation. Not sure why BB is min. raising with the intention of pushing you out. A more plausible scenario is that he thinks you have a marginal hand and is building the pot so he can immediately push any flop, especially since he's on a tilting line.

After the min. raise push all in. It would be a nice sized pot to take down without seeing any cards.

Ideally you want him AI with K8, but I think it is rare that K8 four bets AI PF.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rare, but K8 has its merits. That's a different discussion though.

With AKo, I'm happy to see anything 'cept AA in the race and shrug when I lose it. That's the nature of the hand. It's got outs against practically everything and is 30% against even KK, but it loses a lot of races too.

"OMG, they treat AK like flopping quads. Wouldn't fold it if it was 10 bets to them."
Old 10-25-2006, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I push after he min-raises me preflop and am very happy to see K8.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-25-2006, 03:17 PM

Given the level of competition in Bodog MTTs, this is incredibly standard. That site boggles my mind.

OP, the only thing you could have done any better here is to just push over his minraise. You still would have been called by K8 and stacked, but whatever.