Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2007, 07:18 AM

Default 6 month fitness anniversary

6 months ago (or pretty close to it) was the last time i used a machine at the gym. the last time i did some bodybuilding split routine from some worthless fitness magazine, especially considering that the last thing i ever wanted to be was any type of bodybuilder.

6 months ago i said goodbye forever to the pec dec, tricep pushdown, hammer strengh curl, and leg extension. no more back and bi days for me.

i swithced to things like full body lifting, body weight exercises, running (sprints and a bit of distance), rowing, and trying olympic lifts, and maybe most importantly squating and deadlifting in all their respective forms.

best move of my fitness life. i am stronger, faster, and leaner (but not nearly any of these things as Shemp i think [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]) and spend less time working out, but work out much much smarter.

so thank you for celebrating this "anniversary" with me. this forum has been a major help in keeping me focused and training smart. there is a lot of knowlegde and people to be inspired from on here.

so H and F'ers have you made any good changes in 2007 in the fitness dept. that you would like to share? any thing different that you know is for the best? please share whatever it is in this thread and help keep us all inspired.

thanks. J.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:32 AM

Default Re: 6 month fitness anniversary

My biggest change over recent years is that I think I'm over endurance stuff. I still have a trail run of about 12k I'll do occasionally and do a 10k fun run, and maybe I would do a metric century (cycling) for giggles. I was never big into it, more of a dabbler who likes to mix up his training, but I was more so than now. I enjoyed it, but moved on. I'll still swim, bike, run, but not like before. It took a bit too much in time and energy, especially the cycling, which I came to later in life, wiped me out-- addictive but so exhausting.

Another big change is that I've spent more time looking around the net and feel like I've learned a lot-- gotten a lot of fresh ideas, and also gotten a lot of validation in finding out that many things that I simply did out of habit or was taught to do many years ago are good things to be doing.

Crossfit has been a good find for me in this regard. I don't ever do the "WOD"-- but I look at it all the time and have adopted many into my own workout schedule. Lot of great workouts and it has inspired me to do some movements I've never done before. Specifically, just started with the OHS, and wondering how it took me so long to find this exercise, especially considering that I had power snatched here and there over the years. Also, I've been doing kipping pull-ups; I only do deadhangs occasionally to make sure that they are increasing or staying level-- haven't lost any.

That reminds me J. B-- Lynne prop?
Old 09-07-2007, 11:23 AM

shemp,

cool post. thanks.

lynne, no thanks. my pullup #'s have been sucking it up lately. a bit of tendinitis in the elbow is not helping.

i did nancy and helen this week. liked them both.
matters what you want to bet when i come to sf.
looking like early oct. now, but if we are betting something that would be fun to pay like........dinner at gary danko or something i would be inclined to do whatever.

if it is something that i really would "have to" win then strategy must be employed. i think the real problem is that you are a bunch fitter than me. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

how old and big are you?
i am 34, 5'8, about 165 or so.
oh and how fast is your 5k time right now?
hope my ?'s don't give away too much info.
i will share all my accurate info w/u of course.
if it is close i will gladly bet that i can rise to the occasion on game day. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

doing the filthy 50 today, i will report my time back for informational purposes. first time doing it.

later. J.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:40 PM

You're too modest or are sandbagging. I'm in the master's division, basically over the hill. I only pretend to be fit on the net. Under 6 ft, and slightly heavier than you. If it is a 5k you want it has to be part of a larger challenge. I haven't run a 5k, let alone a timed 5k in ages-- my typical run is a leisurely 6-7 miles. A guess (although I suspect a pretty good guess) is somewhere between 21:30 and 22:00.

I thought the Filthy Fifty was brutal. I've done it once. Everything involves hip extension. I know my hip flexors felt it, and if memory serves, so did rectus abdominus.

My first attempt at Nancy is Oct 1 (I did it with a barbell a while back). I did Helen for the first time 22 Aug and finished just under 11 minutes.

Enough tail sniffing! Gamble!
Old 09-07-2007, 04:54 PM

no 5k, just curious.
btw my times are about same as you (both helen and 5k)
going to c-fit cert next weekend maybe i will learn some tricks there. i wish i was being modest or fit enough to sandbag. most of this stuff is obv. still pretty new to me and i don't have a huge fitness base to fall back on. was alwasy just so so at best.

i will quit with the probing too.

pm me with what you want to bet and we will figure out what we will bet on. i like the idea of multiple events. maybe we should each get to choose 1 and then compromise on a third one that we agree on.

like i said if it is something enjoyable i will give you an edge, if not i will have to try and nit this one up a bit.

i will report back on the filthy 50. J.