Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2006, 06:19 PM

Default A basics post - classic river val bet or check behind w/ \'good?\' river

OK. I've seen a lot of posts lately where people are disagreeing in some relatively fundamental-seeming hands. I don't think this one is quite so cut-and-dried, but it's still pretty basic and common and I'd be interested in hearing responses. New to the table. Seems like standard Party full 10/20 game. Not too jacked up, relatively straightforward w/ standard levels of aggression. Villain looks like a pretty straightforward pretty solid player, maybe a tad on the tight conservative side, but not a lot of history.

2k effective stacks. Couple of folds, Villian makes standard open for him to $70, I call in MP w/ A5c, the rest fold, SB calls, BB folds.

67Ar flop. SB checks, Villain fires $200 into $230 pot (he almost always follows up w/ flop bet, but doesn't follow through a ton on the turn), I call (planning to fold to turn bet), SB folds.

Turn is an offsuit 9, A679r board now. Villain checks. I usually check here, but he sometimes makes big gross river bluffs when I do that, so I decide to fire and check behind river if he calls. I bet 2/3 pot, $400, he calls.

River is a card I'm not sure about. Another Ace. Villain checks. There's $1430 in the pot. We have $1300.

So, three questions.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:24 PM

Default Re: A basics post - classic river val bet or check behind w/ \'good?\' river

I voted Fold/call/push.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:27 PM

Default Re: A basics post - classic river val bet or check behind w/ \'good?\' r

Fold/Fold/Check.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:27 PM

Default Re: A basics post - classic river val bet or check behind w/ \'good?\' r

i agree on 1st 2 scenarios (fold/call), what kind of hands in his range make you want to push? (i voted chk behind) are u trying to push him off a weak ace? or just trying to overrepresent one?
Old 05-23-2006, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold/Fold/Check.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-23-2006, 06:31 PM

I went with fold/call/push.

If villian pushes, it is not likely to be a bluff here. His line is definitly fishy for a better hand, but that card dosn't change much on that board other than counterfeiting two pair, and if he wanted to move you off the hand, there are much cheaper ways that c/c the turn and open push the river.

Ifhe fires half the pot, i call because this could easily be a blocker bet from a PP over 99 thinking it's less likely you have an ace now, but they don't want to be faced with a pot bet on the river so they blocker bet/thin value bet here planning to fold to a raise. If you push, you basically never get called by worse hands.

I think the 3rd scenario is the toughest, as he could easily be checking A-T or AJ here. In reality, i think checking or pushing can both be fine here... a push might look desperate given that you didn't like your hand enough to raise a street and are now shoving, plus there are two aces on baord, so you could definitly get looked up by TT-KK sometimes. I think it's possible that this happens enough to warrant pushing. However, there is the arugment that most worse hands might fold here and better ones will call almost all of the time, so i think a check can be ok as well sometimes.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:32 PM

Default Re: A basics post - classic river val bet or check behind w/ \'good?\' river

isn't this the flipside of chaos's hand?
Old 05-23-2006, 06:48 PM

Fold. Fold. Check.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:54 PM

I'm going with fold/fold/check as well. This looks v much like AT/AJ (provided he does raise with these in midposition or something, we wasn't really told in which early-midposition he opened) and also AK/AQ some of the time, although I'm guessing these, especially AK, would be more inclined to bet river more often.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:56 PM

mike,

Yes. I was hoping to get a chunk of responses in before someone mentioned that. Looks like we got about 45, so that's a decent sampling.

I think it's interesting to look at the analysis of this situation and then utilize that information to come up w/ the best line for chaos's hand, which I think is a relatively common and simple situation, but also interesting and important.